How to remove side skirt on drivers side - oil cooler removal necessary? Pic inside

x98boardwell

As it reads above, I'm attempting to remove the side skirt on the drivers side.  I've already removed the passenger side which was pretty straight forward. 

The issue that I'm running into on the drivers side is the oil cooler which is in front of the rear wheel as the side skirt is different.  Does the oil cooler need to be removed or detached from one of the lines to remove the side skirt or will it swing out enough to remove side skirt without having to remove or relocate oil cooler? I currently have most of the oil cooler mounts off as well along with small plastic shroud on the outer edge but it doesn't seem like it would swing out away if everything else was ready to go.  

Everything is loose (except for door torx bits) but wanted to figure out next steps needed before I continue.  Thank you for any help in advance!! Pic attached but of the passenger side which has been removed already.  

Cheers!

Lambo Body Work.jpg

I'm not a mechanic, but can you detach he oil cooler, leaving the lines connected to proceed? The best I can compare is disconnecting a brake caliper and hanging it with some wire. Perhaps that's an option? 

Also, what's the end goal here? Replacement of OEM parts due to damage? Cleaning? Thanks for sharing! Always enjoy mechanical content here. 

Thanks for the thought but this is kind of what I'm asking to find out.  

It doesn't seem like it will swing out of the way without removing one of the lines and loosing almost all of the oil as almost everything is loose other than the torx bolts inside door sill.  It doesn't seem that it will allow the side skirt to come out of the way without removing or at least removing one of the lines which I'm trying to avoid if possible. 

I'm hopeful someone else knows the process and can chime in.  Thanks for adding a comment.

Goal is to paint lower side skirts as they've taken some beating over the years with rock chips, etc and ideally want to make it perfect. Cleaning will come for sure before reassembly but otherwise not too dirty other than small stones from driving which is expected.  No need to replace any parts, just paint.  

I wanted to update as I was able to get it off.  If anyone else ever needs to do this then this update will help tremendously. 

To get the oil cooler out of the way (without any or very little oil loss) you can remove the upper (36mm) nut on the oil line completely. Since this line comes from the top of the tank it won't loose much oil at all (maybe an once).  Then loosen (just crack it loose) the lower line. This will allow the tank to spin on the oil line without trying to twist it (you won't lose any oil from this line/fitting area) and will allow you to swing it down out of the way.  

Once you spin it down the cooler itself will start to leak from the upper port but if you are ready to remove the side skirt then this will only take 30 seconds or so and won't be in your way and can easily be tightened back up to the upper line.  

Since most of the mounting points are in the side skirt I used zip ties in 3 locations to hang the tank while the car heads to get the imperfections addressed in the paint.  It's had a few stone chips over the years and previous owners haven't cared too much for the side skirts while entering driveways, parking lots, etc.. 

So, she will be perfect once completed.  Thanks for looking!

Murci oil tank 1.jpg

Murci oil tank 2.jpg

Murci oil tank 3.jpg

Badass and nice work!

I was going to say, you could time it with an oil change, drain the system and then just uninstall it for the process.

Are you going to do any paint protection once the touch-ups are completed?

Yes, it will be full PPF once done and paint is cured.  The separate pieces will be baked so they will be ready for PPF a few days after paint once cut and buffed.  

Thanks for there comments!! 

I just finished this project so started on the Murci... this one I will be keeping for awhile!

DSC_3805.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

DSC_3751.jpg