Can Anybody In The Seattle Area Help Me Out?

Tara

Specifically Kirkland, WA. I’m looking to possibly purchase a car from a private seller and I have never done this before. I want to make sure the car is real, runs, drives, etc. Also, how can I ensure the guy won’t take my money and disappear? I was told to use a private escrow company by someone. Can I just use a title company or are there companies that specifically do this for cars? Unfortunately, due to my work schedule lately flying out there is not an option. 

On 4/11/2021 at 6:20 AM, Tara said:

Specifically Kirkland, WA. I’m looking to possibly purchase a car from a private seller and I have never done this before. I want to make sure the car is real, runs, drives, etc. Also, how can I ensure the guy won’t take my money and disappear? I was told to use a private escrow company by someone. Can I just use a title company or are there companies that specifically do this for cars? Unfortunately, due to my work schedule lately flying out there is not an option. 

Shut the front door! Good for you!

If no one here can help, contact a local brand dealer to see if they would do an inspection on the vehicle? That way you'll get an objective report on it, and then can arrange purchase details? 

On 4/11/2021 at 6:20 AM, Tara said:

I know the concern of buying from a private party, and went through this last year and didn't purchase anything from a private party but settled on a dealer. 

At the very least if you go through with this, I'd hope the car in question has a clear title so that's not another hurdle to deal with. Dealerships have to guarantee title in like 30-45 days (lien or no lien), which is peace of mind that is worth it. Once you sign the contract and give them money, they'll do all the work with registration/temp tags, etc. Unless you do this often or like doing this stuff, seems like a hassle. 

Buying private has its advantages, mainly price and more inventory (if you're looking at something rare or specially optioned). But it can be a hassle, especially when you have to travel to get it. 

Still would need to register the car in NJ when you get it, regardless of where you buy it from. The out of state purchase adds this level of headache, plus you would have to pay sales tax on the car upon receiving it separately instead of up front (which may be an issue to those financing). COVID adds delays to the registration these days, at least in the tri-state area. 

BTW, PPI services aren't too difficult to arrange unless you're buying the car in a remote area. Any major city can handle PPIs for a variety of brands. Greater Seattle shouldn't be an issue. Dealer or private seller, shouldn't be a problem to arrange. If they resist, then there's an issue.