LM002 brokedown Clutch or Transmission, maybe linkage

Gizlabs

I am own a 1990 LM002, and on a recent drive started to smoke through the transmission tunnel. After pulling over, the car starts fine, but shifting it into any gear doesnt give power form engine to wheels, and doesnt stall the engine, which leads me to suspect the clutch failed in some way, or the transmission did. I had it towed to a shop that had recently worked on the car and looked it over and as recently as a few month ago (200 miles ago) told me that its in fine shape. wanted to see if anyone has had any experiences like this. If you have had the clutch replaced or repaired on the LM, how much was it. Did the engine need to come out or can it be done from under the car? what can I expect and or what else could it be?

Thanks for your help.

15 minutes ago, Gizlabs said:

I am own a 1990 LM002, and on a recent drive started to smoke through the transmission tunnel. After pulling over, the car starts fine, but shifting it into any gear doesnt give power form engine to wheels, and doesnt stall the engine, which leads me to suspect the clutch failed in some way, or the transmission did. I had it towed to a shop that had recently worked on the car and looked it over and as recently as a few month ago (200 miles ago) told me that its in fine shape. wanted to see if anyone has had any experiences like this. If you have had the clutch replaced or repaired on the LM, how much was it. Did the engine need to come out or can it be done from under the car? what can I expect and or what else could it be?

Thanks for your help.

To be clear, the shop that did work, reevaluated the work they did, signed off there is no issue and sent you on your way? Did they provide any details on what they found or about your concerns?

No sorry, The car was just towed to them, they have not gotten to it yet. They will evaluate and let me know whats wrong in the next few days, but i am looking for independent thoughts on it aside from them in the meantime. I believe the shop is reputable but i do want outside opinions or experiences on this.

22 minutes ago, Gizlabs said:

No sorry, The car was just towed to them, they have not gotten to it yet. They will evaluate and let me know whats wrong in the next few days, but i am looking for independent thoughts on it aside from them in the meantime. I believe the shop is reputable but i do want outside opinions or experiences on this.

Maybe a throw-out bearing? I'm not super mechanical on these, but might be part of the problem? 

4 minutes ago, Gizlabs said:

any idea if this or the clutch can be replaced or looked at without removing the engine?

I guess it would depend on what kind of access and equipment is available at the shop. I'd plan on being an engine out repair, that way expectations aren't crushed if they have to pull it.

Hopefully something simple, but never know.