Clear PPF removal

JanDaMan

I think my 3M clear PPF has been on my 2008 Murci since new. It actually looks almost perfect and whenever it starts to have a slight dull appearance, then a  light rub with 3M cleaner/wax brings it right back to new. However I have heard that the longer you keep PPF on a car, then the greater chance of paint issues when removing it to put on new PPF. Since I figure mine has been on about 10+ years I am wondering if any of you have experienced issues when having PPF removed if the PPF has been on your car for a while. Im debating whether to just leave it alone or not. I would hate to see paint come off with it and then have to repaint the car, which I figure pearl paint is never as nice as factory. I hear Ferraris have terrible issues with paint coming of with PPF removal especially on the bumpers, but not sure of the Murci.

10+ years is at the limit of the current PPF warranties, and the current film is better quality than 10 years ago.

If it was me, while it's still in good shape, I would have it very carefully removed using the right technique (steam and stretching it along the film, not pulling it up) before you end up having to use one of those huge eraser wheels to rub it off the paint.  Wait too long to remove it, and it's a disaster. Something like this:

• 2 weeks later...

I literally just did this... I tried all options (except the one above) and finally with a commercial steamer it worked out well. 

Mine was yellowing and I used my buddies steamer from his tint shop.  Steam and slowly pulling (too fast you lose the adhesive which stays on the paint... not good) it worked.  My knuckles  and fingers were sore afterwards as 70% of the car was removed.  PM me if you need any further details and I'd be happy to chat. 

Cheers, Bryan