How to put car in N with dead battery?

JanDaMan

Went on vacation for about a month and even with trickle charger on the car it seems my battery may be dead. I tried to unlock the car with the fob and only heard one faint chirp, and volt meter is reading just under 12. Battery is 7 years old, so that's what I suspect anyway. But when I go to change the battery jacking up the rear I want to be sure the car is in neutral just in case for some reason it is in 1st when I put the new battery in and it may lung. When I park my car I always put the paddle shift into 1st, but now want to get it into neutral before I go messing in the battery area. But maybe it doesn't make any difference if it's in 1st  if I use the kill switch in the engine bay? Maybe I'm over thinking but just trying to be safe rather than dead and would prefer it to be in neutral. I'm used to working on old school Panteras with rear wheel drive, so Im new to all wheel drive with the front still on the ground when I jack it up. Thanks.

I think if I use the trunk battery kill switch there will be no way the car may accidently start when I put the battery in; but now I am getting different quotes for what size should go into a 2008 LP604. I currently have an interstate MTP 48/H6 but Interstate is telling me their records show it should have a MTP 49/H8 for this car. Anyone put in a 49/H8 size? It is about 3" longer and 3" taller than the 48/H6. See below:

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/car-and-truck-batteries/mtp

Hi

Dose not mater if car is in gear when you replace battery. 

Bigger battery will not fit in the brackets. Interstates info is wrong. Unless it has wrong battery in it know and is lose in its brackets.

2 hours ago, jefflambo said:

Hi

Dose not mater if car is in gear when you replace battery. 

Bigger battery will not fit in the brackets. Interstates info is wrong. Unless it has wrong battery in it know and is lose in its brackets.

Thanks, you are correct the 49/H8 is clearly way too big when I looked at my wheel well photos from my last battery change. This time I went with the MTX 48/H6 (dry battery) instead of the MTP 48/H6 (wet battery) since they indicated it was a better battery so I will see how this fits. The size difference posted on their webpage noted in the post above is a minuscule fraction of a difference between the MTX and MTP.