RM Sotheby's to Auction Mercedes-Benz SLR Sir Stirling Moss Edition

Destructo

814347f1c5f2ca8dc70e93aac3c64decfa561d07.webp

This one has only 150 kilometers on it. I can't imagine what this is going to go for!  Auction Listing Link

Anyone else think it's kind of a waste to have only 150km on it? I get the collector  value, but that's just too nice of a car to not drive! 

[quote]

Unveiled at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the SLR McLaren Stirling Moss was the most radical iteration of the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren. Celebrating the 300 SLR which was piloted to a record-breaking victory in the 1955 Mille Miglia by Stirling Moss and codriver Denis Jekinson, this would be the most radical and exciting road-going Mercedes-Benz produced since the CLK GTR Roadster.

In the spirit of the 300 SLR, nearly all the creature comforts of the SLR Stirling Moss were sacrificed in the pursuit of performance, aesthetics, and extreme driver (and passenger) enjoyment. This even included the windscreen and roof, which not only adds to the visual drama, but also ramps up the intensity of the driving experience tenfold. Indeed, when Car magazine road-tested the car in 2009, they likened the experience of full-throttle acceleration to ‘standing on the wingtip of a 747’ and cited the 0–100 km/h time of 3.5 seconds and top speed of 354 km/h achievable only by those ‘whose neck muscles can bear it’. This level of performance is accomplished by utilising the same 641 bhp, 5.5-litre supercharged AMG V-8 that powers the SLR 722 Edition and pairing it with 200 kg of weight savings, achieved by adoption of the speedster style as well as the extensive use of carbon fibre for the bodywork and underside and new aerodynamic package.

This particular SLR Stirling Moss was first registered in Germany in 2010 and has been carefully preserved in the hands of just one private owner. Driven less than 150 km from new, it presents in virtually as-new condition throughout, finished in the Stirling Moss’ quintessential colour scheme of metallic silver paintwork over a black and red leather interior, done as a modern twist on the colour scheme worn by the 300 SLRs when campaigned by Mercedes-Benz in 1955.

With many manufacturers now producing ‘speedster-style’ supercars such as the McLaren Elva, Ferrari SP1 and SP2, and the Aston Martin V12 Speedster, the SLR Stirling Moss surely provided some inspiration to those that followed. With the underpinnings of a truly excellent automobile, brilliantly engineered by engineers at both Mercedes-Benz and McLaren, and its incredible looks harkening back to one of the most celebrated automobiles in history, its no wonder that these cars have been considered modern day collectables since the moment they left the factory. This example is surely amongst the finest examples in existence, bosting single private ownership and just 150 km from new, it provides its next owner with an amazing opportunity to enjoy one what is arguably the most celebrated Mercedes-Benz built thus far into the 21st century.

[/quote]

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/sl23/sotheby-s-sealed---mercedes-benz-slr-stirling-moss/lots/r0001-2010-mercedes-benz-slr-stirling-moss/1332117

These have always been kind of gimmicky cool to me, but I just dont love them.  Would take an SLR 722 Coupe over this any day of the week.   

4 hours ago, Kevin2772 said:

These have always been kind of gimmicky cool to me, but I just dont love them.  Would take an SLR 722 Coupe over this any day of the week.   

The 722 coupe is awesome! I wish the front end of it looked a bit more like this one though. I wouldn’t turn away either. 

• 4 months later...

It's amazing how much more expensive car is when it doesn't come with a windshield, :lol: