The Fastest $50K Can Buy

phxdiablo

Ok time to use our imaginations -- Here's the situation:

You are alloted $50K to create the fastest street car you can.

The rules:

The car you buy has to be NEW. Because you are only allowed $50K, Vettes, Vipers and other higher dollar amount cars are exempt, obviously because sticker price on these cars new is over $50K.

You only can spend $50K TOTAL and you must start with a NEW CAR. You can't buy used.

What do you buy? Keep in mind, you will need to have money left over for modifications.

Ill start:

Suburu WRX.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitsu lancer Evo VIII MR.

Cost of car = $30k

Leaves me $20k to mod the crap outta it. That gives me a nice turbo upgrade something like a HKS gt3037, fuel, fuel management, suspension upgrades, brakes, exhaust etc.

Easily best bang for that money.

05 Mustang GT = 25K

Leaves 25K for mods.

Send it to Vortech for the 16psi SC = 575HP

Just like the one in the current issue of Road & Track's Flat Out One Full Mile.

Spend the rest on ECU's, dyno tuning, suspension, tires, and maybe a 30HP shot of N20 for the intercooler, remove the cats, remove the seats, remove the sound proofing material, etc.

See Ya!

-James Miller

OR-

I would get a Caterham Seven Superlight R = 30K without motor and tranny.

Put in a large motor and good tranny for under 20K easy.

-James Miller

probably have to abgreee with the modded mustang. close to 600hp for less than 50k.

wrx or evo probably the only other choices that i can think of.

Lancer evo RS sticker 24k.

comes with no stereo and roll up windows

stock does 0-60 in the 4.4-4.6 range.

also leaves 26k for mods.

also you are talking fastest 0-60,quarter mile, top speed, or on a track?

could you get a dodge ram srt-10 and put a supercharger on it for less than 50k?

would still handle like a truck so probably not be the best choice, but for drag racing it would do ok.

Hmmm.....I think I would have to stay with the evo.

The mustang can get done up cheaply though....it's a tough one.

Pikemike's Evo RS idea.

No Evo 9, got to save weight. Those of you picking the Mustang are down 300lbs. to the RS in weight at least, and it's probably more like 400lbs.

Great question, fun trying to think of ways to not hit the cap...

This car unofrtunately came into my thoughts while on my way to lunch. Dodge Neon SRT-4, then just throw what 25-30K worth of mods. Sorry to even mention that here, kind of leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, hate neons.

Cobra replica!. Those could be built for well under 50k and makes some great performance right out of the box. I have seen most of them for sale at around 25k so that would leave about 22k in mods.

My second choice would be a POS ZR1 with a twin turbo setup.

Cobra replica!. Those could be built for well under 50k and  makes some great performance right out of the box. I have seen most of them for sale at around 25k so that would leave about 22k in mods.

My second choice would be a POS ZR1 with a twin turbo setup.

Obviously you didn't read the post.

This car unofrtunately came into my thoughts while on my way to lunch.  Dodge Neon SRT-4, then just throw what 25-30K worth of mods.  Sorry to even mention that here, kind of leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, hate neons.

I just got rid of my SRT, fastest ones are low 11s, may be some in the 10s by now. fwd makes this car not the best bet to me. I need to know rules on engine swaps and whatnot, cause with that in mind...hmm, think you could get a supra engine into one of those new scions? wait, rwd conversion would probably be too much...maybe a little tacoma or a chevy colorado with a s/c ls1 swap? EVO or stang would be tough to beat with that money.

I think it is pretty hard to beat that mustang GT in R&T with the paxton blower on it for an additional 6K. That car was faster than a Ford GT for less than $35K.

2005 Pontiac GTO

6.0L V8

400hp

0-60 5.3s

0-100 12.9

quarter mile 13.8 @ 103.8

$50,000

-$32,995

-----------

$17,005 left for modifications

I'm more biased towards imports personally, but I will admit that the mustang is probably the best bet for a NEW car with the quarter mile in mind... You may as well start with the base v6 considering the motor work that will be done to save some cash. With the $30k+ left for mods I wouldn't doubt that high 8's would be possible on slicks. I don't think an evo or sti will be running those time for under $50k. AWD is only good at the 1/4 to point, (right around when you breaking drivetrain parts on everyother run) after that RWD rules the 1/4.

roman, what kind of impression did you get on how fast they were? is it sportbike quick? it just looks cool and like it would be a blast to drive.

Never seen them run, but think GOCART.... The Pwr to wt is extraordinary...