The Fastest $50K Can Buy

phxdiablo

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the 05 mustang gt would be the best platform. the evo9 would be sick redlight to redlight if it was cheaper. not enough money for serious mods left over though.

i would try the new mustang gt500 which is supposed to be under 50k and has a detuned ford gt motor. only downside is the 3800lb curb weight.

• 3 weeks later...

/thread resurection

Saker SVR

Rolling chasssis - 45K

LS1 - ~1K on the used market

G50 trans + adaptor - 3K

Mods - 1K (~450hp)

Weight 1700lbs

Power 450bhp

Done and done.

Tough call .. the crate 6.0 liter Chevy LS2 can be had for under $5K and will fit in a Miata, S2000, and most other front-engine rear-drive sports cars.

Miata runs $24 or so, say another 6 for the motor, and that leaves 20K for ways to get the car to stick.

Problem with you guys is that you're all thinking about horsepower.  A well set up shot of nitrous will take care of most of your power issues, it's getting things to hook that's the problem.  That's why 400 HP Stangs that are properly setup run in the 10s and a 900HP Supra runs 11s.

Bill in Brooklyn

Well said Bill and im glad somebody mentioned it. The problem definitely isnt just about power. My car only has 440RWHP N/A and it will run 11s easy. Why? Because on top of the motor work I did, we also completely redid the suspension on the car, it has a 12 bolt rear with the correct gearing to match up nice with my cam, and i run drag radials. With ALL supporting mods, Throw a 150 shot on my car and it will run in the 10s easy all for under 15 or 20 grand in mods. However my car isnt new so it dosent qualify, i was just giving an example.

I would have to agree with what the other guys said. On the import side of it, I would get an EVO 8 or an STI and mod the hell out of it with suspension, a smal shot of nitrous and a bigger turbo. On the domestic side, a Cobra for 32grand, headers, an Xpipe, dual cutouts and a smaller pulley for less then 2 grand, a 100-150 shot of nitrous for another 2, and about 10 grand in suspension and tires and you will DESTROY almost anything you run into on the street. :)

Bills idea for a Miata with an LS2 or other crate engine idea is badasss too, that would be one quick machine.

Domestic i would definatly go with an F-body LS1 powered, those stock like the WS6 come with 315-325HP if i remember correctly, for under 20K. That leaves 30k for mods..which would be a blown and stroked 383, AFR heads, forged internals, putting over 700HP to the rear wheels.

My other choice would be a new gen Mini Cooper S, get those around 20K gives another 30K in mods...once again going with the beefed forged internals blown and on the bottle... that little car would rip :)

Those are just some of the ideas i've had :twisted:

^I have an LS1 Fbody. The problem is you cant GET them new anymore. ;) They stopped making them in 02. :(

^I have an LS1 Fbody. The problem is you cant GET them new anymore.  ;)   They stopped making them in 02.  :(

Yeah it's too bad, they stopped making them...but the concept for the new camaro is to be released in 06 at the NAIAS. I can't wait

A bloody srt4? Youre kidding, right? I'd LOVE to see that. A 50k neon making 800hp spinning its tires through the end of 5th gear. What a waste of time and money.

Car and Driver tested a "452hp" Howell Automotive Neon SRT4 in the issue about to hit the stands, and it turned a 13.4/112mph quarter mile time. And traction wasn't an issue, they said it hooked up just fine with little torque steer.

Those cars are dyno queens that never seem to translate to real world results via actual numbers. Modded EVO would kill it, easily.

Tell me about it. I was an active participant in the whole overpowered fwd mania, remember? I know exactly how bad it is.

I crashed the local streetraces a few weekends ago with a friend that drives a 408ci Factory Five Cobra replica. Beautiful car, and ridiculously fast given it weighs 2200lbs with him in it. Easily a 10 second car, and he rolls around on ET drags, which arnt even DOT legal. Its pretty funny to watch that car tiptoe through water.

Anyway, a guy at the races had an acura rsx, of all things. Said it was putting down over 550 to the wheels. He wanted to race. So I take a look at the car, its got a HUGE turbo on it, Im thinking theres no way this thing is going to make any power before 5000rpms, so I figure he must be running some really sticky rubber.........guy was on the STOCK 17 inch wheels and tires. :shock: :lol:

Talk about a waste of time, he got slaughtered. I dont know whether it was wheelspin or the car was simply slow, but he got smoked repeatedly. I regret wasting the gas.

Fwd=big no no if youre looking to do anything other than commute.

I have two ideas

Dodge SRT4 20K, leaves me 30 left over

Id go with a upgraded turbo, drivetrain, tires, suspension, and then i would gut it. 11 second car easily.

Pontiac GTO 30k, 20 left over

Upgrade the clutch, then id turbo charge that bad boy for probably 8K, or Vortech if for 4-5K. Then id buy some slicks of course, a cam, straight pipe, headers, intake, the usual. That should be good for a 10 second pass,.

I slightly disagree about the FWD being a big "no-no" statement. I know of a Saab that has over 500FWP and will run 4 to 60 and about 9 to 100 (off the top of my head). That's fast, in anyone's money. However, the important point is that it has MAJOR Torque-Steer. I'm talking about the wheel being yanked half a turn around in straight-line acceleration! I used to have a 300FWP Saab Viggen, so I know what it's like, and this 500FWP car was tuned by a professional, semi-racing company and had the car stripped to hell and back (can't weigh more than 1100KGS). The rule on FWD is this: can be made as fast as you want, but it takes much, much more effort to do so compared to RWD or AWD. As for my Saab (no longer owned by me), it would stomp many, many faster cars through the gears and on the highway it was really, really fast.

Oh, that reminds me: there's a guy in the UK that has a Ford Ka with more than 450FWP too: that must be scary!!

I dont know how to put it anyother way than : youre wrong. FWD is the biggest disadvantage you can have. Coming from a wheelspinning, torque steering car like yours, you ought to be agreeing whole heartedly. EIther that or you still drive a fwd. Its a cripple fight.

I dont know how to put it anyother way than : youre wrong. FWD is the biggest disadvantage you can have. Coming from a wheelspinning, torque steering car like yours, you ought to be agreeing whole heartedly. EIther that or you still drive a fwd. Its a cripple fight.

If you want JUST to go fast, then stay away from FWD: I agree with that 100%. However, for people to say/suggest that FWD cannot be fast, is, quite frankly, insulting. A 300FWD Viggen, with uprated suspension, tires and chassis, will put the hurt on a LOT of cars in a roll-on situation. The reason? Ultra-flat Torque curve and a lot of it. A Viggen comes with 252ft/lbs as standard, and that's all available at 2500RM and 90% of that at 2000RPM. With an ECU tune and a few other bits and pieces such as PSI increase etc, that can easly be 400ft/lbs. Now, that may not be a lot compared to a lot of cars, but with the Torque curve and gearing it makes it very, very mean on the highway.

As for racing: as I said, I agree with you. FWD are crippled, but they can be as fast as your pocket allows. You just have to hold onto that dammed wheel!! TBH, if I want an ultra fast car I'd buy one. If I want a fast car that's a hoot to drive, I'd go back to a Viggen in a heartbeat. Why? Because when tuned and set up nicely it's bloody quick (not a Stoplight Racer, though: highway only), rare, looks nice, is a great sleeper, and is fun, fun, fun to drive.

it is a mod so it doesn't count but you gotta see it if you haven't.

Got a friend who has one of these and the total cost to him was less than $50K (car + mod). It's a pain to do any city driving with the thing because of the power. He just wanted to be able to beat any car out there.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/perform...112_0401_tuner/

1/4 in 3.2 seconds

quarter mile 11.49

202+ mph top speed

Looks like a goddamn VW Golf so you're not going to turn heads with it.

Just stomachs. My suggestion: paint it completely lime green and put a jack in the box thing on the antenna.

just as a rough comparison:

gallardo 1/4 is 4.0 sec, top speed of 190

murcie 1/4 is 3.5, quarter 12 sec, top speed 205

They need to drop some turbos on the Murcie. The souped up model is a step in the right direction.

Youre on a lamborghini board, and youre praising a saab?

C'mon now.

This section is about cars other than Lamborghinis, and the talk had moved on to whether FWD can be fast cars. I have no need to "praise up" a Saab, but simply state that FWD cars can be made to be a lot faster than what people think.

C'mon now.

This section is about cars other than Lamborghinis, and the talk had moved on to whether FWD can be fast cars. I have no need to "praise up" a Saab, but simply state that FWD cars can be made to be a lot faster than what people think.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. 11s is not fast. 10s is not fast. In today's world, 9s are not fast. 8's ... now those are fast. Show me a $50K FWD car in the 8s ... you can't. There are PLENTY of $50K RWD cars in the 8s.

252lb-ft of torque is a joke. 400lb-ft is a joke. Saabs are a joke. For whatever it cost someone to put that Saab into the 11s, they could've had any RWD car with a small block into the 9s.

Bill in Brooklyn

C'mon now.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. 11s is not fast. 10s is not fast. In today's world, 9s are not fast. 8's ... now those are fast. Show me a $50K FWD car in the 8s ... you can't. There are PLENTY of $50K RWD cars in the 8s.

252lb-ft of torque is a joke. 400lb-ft is a joke. Saabs are a joke. For whatever it cost someone to put that Saab into the 11s, they could've had any RWD car with a small block into the 9s.

Bill in Brooklyn

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2003/drive...m_crawford.html

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2005/drive.../s_Carlson.html

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2005/drive...ergenholtz.html

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2005/drive...s/j_callos.html

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2005/drive...rs/n_hoyos.html

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2005/drive...s/J_rhodes.html

Thank you come again.

C'mon now.

Bill in Brooklyn

I don't remember saying that the Saab was in the 11s. What I did say, was that FWD cars can be as fast as you want them to be, depending on how deep your pockets are. If you're going to start babbling on about numbers at least have the decency to get your facts straight and have the respect to read what I typed before taking a swipe at me. In addition, 252ft/lbs for a bone stock, 2.3 litre car is not bad, not bad at all: not all cars are showroom racers.