Z06 and the Gallardo

rampante

Here's a little story....when I was in my late teens, I use to read Dupont Registry & look at all the cool cars, I told my self that one day, I would own a Ferrari, a Porsche etc.....but a Lambo, I could only dream about, that car was untouchable. Many of my friends parents had Vettes, new & older & they are a nice car, but with so many on the road, I never really got turned on by them, but it was the body shape that first turned me on to exotics because I had never drivin a "sports" car & so thats all I had to go by, what the car looked like & who was driving them, Stars, Rich people, Celebs etc. Up until 5 yrs ago, I didnt even have the credit to by a nicer car than a preowned BMW 325. Then I started my own business, been working my ASS off for the last 5 yrs, moved up in cars little at a time, BMW, older 911, new 911, pre owned F-360, then in Dec of last year, there she was my dream from when I was 16yr, a Lambo, but I did I have the means & credit to buy a new Lamborghini? YES! And why did I spend the money on the Lambo...for all the reasons I had dreamed about, hot body, the prestige of the Lambo name, it was flashy, it had speed, control & everything I had only dreamed about. Now when I walk into my garage, I look at the car & tell my self, wow, cant beleive shes still here. So yes speed is important, but the total package is truly what matters & what that is is up to you, but for me, its a dream come true :P

Len

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shared earlier that the cars are simply not worthy of comparing.....

On any given day I have at least a dozen GM dealers within a short drive and the ability to pick from an endless aray of boring Corvettes. The last POS that I owned and regret selling was an 1958 with the wash board hood, dual headlights, and the chrome strips down the boot. Far from fast but damn ....... I felt good driving it.

I have the same feeling when in any number of the cars that I drive and most are not the fastest thing on the road.

There is no doubt that I am a bit of a speed/performance junky however this alone will not drive me to own a car.

I think that Lamborghini has moved in the right direction while remaining cautious because a part of what has happened with the exotic car market is they are being driven more and more. As the direct result of this reliability, access to parts and service, and proper training of the folks in the field becomes an even greater issue.

So do I have interest in a Plastic mess-06....nadda......... but I like the fact that OEM companies such as Lamborghini keep an eye open...however I hope that the game of me first and then me too does not become the basis of the next model year after year. GM needs to sell a flippen ton of plastic bodies to justify the machine as such something new needs to be presented EVERY year... whereas Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti, ....... even Nobel's do not carry the same responsibility.

Shadowman

I would rather walk round with a rusty nail in my boot than drive a POS.

American cars have no style, how can you compare a Plastic mess-06 to an Italian supercar?

Here's a little story....when I was in my late teens, I use to read Dupont Registry & look at all the cool cars, I told my self that one day, I would own a Ferrari, a Porsche etc.....but a Lambo, I could only dream about, that car was untouchable. Many of my friends parents had Vettes, new & older & they are a nice car, but with so many on the road, I never really got turned on by them, but it was the body shape that first turned me on to exotics because I had never drivin a "sports" car & so thats all I had to go by, what the car looked like & who was driving them, Stars, Rich people, Celebs etc. Up until 5 yrs ago, I didnt even have the credit to by a nicer car than a preowned BMW 325. Then I started my own business, been working my ASS off for the last 5 yrs, moved up in cars little at a time, BMW, older 911, new 911, pre owned F-360, then in Dec of last year, there she was my dream from when I was 16yr, a Lambo, but I did I have the means & credit to buy a new Lamborghini? YES! And why did I spend the money on the Lambo...for all the reasons I had dreamed about, hot body, the prestige of the Lambo name, it was flashy, it had speed, control & everything I had only dreamed about. Now when I walk into my garage, I look at the car & tell my self, wow, cant beleive shes still here. So yes speed is important, but the total package is truly what matters & what that is is up to you, but for me, its a dream come true  :P  

Len

I am in a similar position, so I can completely understand. When I started my company 10 years ago I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment and now I am building my dream home. I was also single...now I have 4 kids. I would have never thought all this would happen so quickly. I am the most grateful person you'll ever meet and I will never forget where I was 10 years ago...In my late 20's full of "piss and vinegar" and willing to work my ass off to make it happen.

I always joke that I started my telecom business to support my "car habit". I have wokred my way up the car ladder as well from Vettes, to Vipers, to Turbo Porsches. Now I am ready to make my childhood dream come true as well. For my 16th birthday my mother bought me the Countach picture that was an ad for Alpine Electronics. I would stare at the picture on my wall and say "one day...". Well, my time has come and as soon as I find a buyer for my 996TT (or I get sick of waiting and just trade it in) I am making the dream come true. Life is beautiful!

I am certain everybody in a cool car thinks that they are being looked at..... The POS is no exception however during my road trip tonight to exercise my gal even the Corvettes were slowing and driving along side looking at my gal....... in fact at one time I must have looked like I was leading the pack to an event because I had a trail of cars behind and along side to the point that it was bothering me. If it were not for the blacked out windows it would have driven me fricken knutts. This is the very reason why I typically exercise my gals during the late hours of the night and very early morning. For me the cars are my passion .... not my ego.....

Then I arrive home only to find not one but two magazines with the Plastic mess-06 mentioned on the cover one stating it is the best Supercar buy of all time .... huuuum.... damn as a kid I always dreamed much bigger.... to think if that it what I percieved as the "TOP DOG" I would have missed the true "SuperCar" experience many a year ago.

Now for those participating on this board that have one in the garage ..... or even thinking of purchasing one there is no doubt that it is a great car, one that for many even has roots......... but it is not a true "SuperCar" according to my definition even though it maybe a super car.

Shadowman

I hardly think people will be dumping their Lambo's / Ferrari's / Porsche's to scurry out and buy a Plastic mess-06.

my friend's dad dumped his 360 for a new Plastic mess-06, arrives in october :mrgreen: also, as a tribute to the stupidity of f-car pricing, he ended up selling his now-obsolete 360 for more than he bought it for.

i don't know if i could take a Plastic mess-06 over a gallardo, so i don't think anyone should have second thoughts just because of that. but maaan... if ford was smart enough to drop a motor like the LS7 into the GT (and really, a huge N/A v8/v10 was what that car should've come with), being mid-engined and with a much nicer interior/exterior, i'd be tempted...

Am I the only one who understands the word "exotic" on this planet?. I don't want the POS because its cheap..every other house on my block has a POS and its always some middle aged man trying to re-gain his youth. If a POS owner stopped next to me and asked me why I bought this car I would say " I bought it because you can't". It has a chevy cavalier interior, a pathetic looking wanna-be exotic poser body , and to see one you just drive over to were ever old man go and you should see a few. Lambos and Ferraris have a heart stopping effect when seen passing on the road...almost like that high school crush :P . A crovette has a "oh, look, another POS :| effect on the road. What ever though...the only people I have known that make fun of lambos and all expensive exotics because their crovette is "faster" is because they can not afford them. :butthead:

Faster does not = Exotic

In fact there are many very slow Exotics........ but then I would rather have a slow Exotic when compared to owning a POS today.......... not because they are bad, just it does not appeal to me.

GM has successfully built a wonderful sports car for the masses. It has contemporary looks, good power, by some standards very good handling, the ability to be serviced easy, and priced fairly well.

Shadowman

But it will for many always be a stepping stone to an Exotic sports car.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget the latest Ultima, and as a Gallardo owner I don't see the point in comparing exotics and non exotic stuff like a Plastic mess-06, we the ones that can buy expensive cars can afford a Plastic mess-06 anyday. So who cares? At least no me, I would buy a Cayman S over any POS anyday.

fcuk

Another corvette thread comparing that plastic common piece of trash to Lamborghinis.How many times does it have to come up .How many????????????

Corvette=nice car for what it is=great performance=I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE SAME OLD THREADS BEING REVIVED.

The next member that starts a thread with a corvette comparison will be BANNED.

We don't want to hear about them nor do we care.

ENOUGH :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe:

I understand what everyone is saying about comparing the ZO6 to the Gallardo. I too would not be caught dead in a POS.

But, here's my argument. Why does it cost so little to build a ZO6 POS that will smoke a Gallardo that's 3 times the price?? Or, rather, what is in a Gallardo that makes it so expensive when it will get smoked by a car 1/3rd the price? When I sit in a Gallardo, I see my A8L Audi.

If I am just paying for "LOOKS" that's fine. But be honest with yourselves and admit it. You can't tell me the folks at Audi/Lamborghini as well as Ferrari, Porsche, etc. aren't sitting there asking themselves "Why do our cars cost so much"?

Granted, people will still pay the higher price, but I do think exotics are gonna take a hit when these much faster, much lower priced cars come out.

But, here's my argument.  Why does it cost so little to build a ZO6 POS that will smoke a Gallardo that's 3 times the price??  Or, rather, what is in a Gallardo that makes it so expensive when it will get smoked by a car 1/3rd the price?  When I sit in a Gallardo, I see my A8L Audi.

If BMWRACER hasn't BANNED you already, here-

-James Miller

But, here's my argument.  Why does it cost so little to build a ZO6 POS that will smoke a Gallardo that's 3 times the price??  Or, rather, what is in a Gallardo that makes it so expensive when it will get smoked by a car 1/3rd the price?  When I sit in a Gallardo, I see my A8L Audi.

-James Miller

Not trying to make enemies my friend. I thought we were having a discussion?

But, here's my argument.  Why does it cost so little to build a ZO6 POS that will smoke a Gallardo that's 3 times the price??  Or, rather, what is in a Gallardo that makes it so expensive when it will get smoked by a car 1/3rd the price?

So let me get this straight. The cost of building a car is directly proportional to the performance? Interesting.

Why then does it cost half the price to build a customized Mustang or RX-7 that can smoke a Plastic mess-06? Should we then deem that they are better cars than the Plastic mess-06?

What the f#ck are some of you guys smoking???

What about...

Materials

Assembly process (robotic or human?)

Labor

Volume (rare or common?)

Demand

Engineering investment

Electronic features

For all of those people who think 0-60 and 1/4 mile are the only things that matter, go buy a Supra, Skyline, or any other common piece of sh#t, and go hang out at 7-11 on Saturday nights.

-James Miller

<-stupid

But, here's my argument.  Why does it cost so little to build a ZO6 POS that will smoke a Gallardo that's 3 times the price??  Or, rather, what is in a Gallardo that makes it so expensive when it will get smoked by a car 1/3rd the price?

So let me get this straight. The cost of building a car is directly proportional to the performance? Interesting.

Why then does it cost half the price to build a customized Mustang or RX-7 that can smoke a Plastic mess-06? Should we then deem that they are better cars than the Plastic mess-06?

For god sakes, some of you guys are on crack to max.

What about...

Materials

Assembly process (robotic or human?)

Labor

Volume (rare or common?)

Demand

Engineering investment

Electronic features

For all of those people who think 0-60 and 1/4 mile are the only things that matter, go buy a Supra, Skyline, or any other common piece of sh#t, and go hang out at 7-11 on Saturday nights.

I'm not talking 1/4 mile. Won't the ZO6 also own at the track??

Yes, I think price is directly proportional to performance when were talking about Exotics, or Supercars. If were talking about luxury cars like a Bently then I think cost is derectly proportional to materials and workmanship and options.

Were talking about a Lamborghini. Just the name invokes thoughts of all out performance. It looks like the fastest thing on the planet. It looks like a racecar. I feel that for the price it should be able to out perform a ZO6. And, I agree, performace is not about 1//4 mile times.

-James Miller

-James Miller

<-stupid

Jeez Guys,

Yer Killin' me. Look, I love Lambo's. Id' never, ever, ever, drive a POS. I'm on your side!!

Remember the days when Lambo and Ferrari were competing for worlds fastest car etc. Back when it was Testarossa vs. Countach. In those days, POS was not a conteder in this category.

Do you not feel that there are a record number of "Kit Cars" on the market. Do "Kit Cars" not represent going for "LOOKS" only?

I'm not talking 1/4 mile.  Won't the ZO6 also own at the track??

Yes, I think price is directly proportional to performance when were talking about Exotics, or Supercars.  If were talking about luxury cars like a Bently then I think cost is derectly proportional to materials and workmanship and options.

Were talking about a Lamborghini.  Just the name invokes thoughts of all out performance.  It looks like the fastest thing on the planet.  It looks like a racecar.  I feel that for the price it should be able to out perform a ZO6.  And, I agree, performace is not about 1//4 mile times.

"Own" what at the track? The Gallardo? I doubt it. The new Plastic mess-06 is probably on par with the Gallardo at the track, and that's where I'd leave it. As for the Nurburgring numbers of 7:43 for the Plastic mess-06, the Gallardo has been timed at a similar pace.

And if price is directly proportional to performance in the exotic/supercar world, I guess you can't justify the price of an Enzo, CGT or Pagani?

Why don't you ask 10 people who can afford a Lambo if they would rather have a Plastic mess-06. What answer do you think you'll get? I love all these POS nut huggers coming to the Lambo sites to say "gee, it's funny how the new Plastic mess-06 can beat a Lambo, huh?". Wow. Better trade up for a POS.

Here are a list of cars that the Plastic mess-06 can either outperform, or is on par with in terms of performance:

Gallardo

Diablo

F430

360/CS

512TR

Ford GT

911 GT2

911 GT3

Esprit Turbo V8

SL55

Guess which of those cars I would rather have than a Plastic mess-06? ANY ONE OF THEM.