My new M5

mhh

Picked up my new M5 yesterday and have done 600km already. The thing is ####### the eyes but a real mile muncher. Limited to 5500rpm for first 2000km, but already it feels like a freight train when passing other cars. The SMG is not as quick to change as the e-gear (at least in the mode I'm presently using) but it is much better in automatic mode which I find pretty much unusable in the Gallardo.

The biggest surprise is how smooth and quiet it is. It also handles remarkably well for a big car. Good brakes, great steering, nice ride, comfy seats and laden with gadgets (Australian cars come fully loaded). OTOH, some of the ergonomics are suspect compared to my wife's Benz - strange indicator stalk in the wrong spots and confusing cruise control. I guess they just take getting used to.

Overall, I'm very happy with it.

holy crap does it have the v10 with 500 hp??
the E60 BMW has 500hp V10, same as in the M6. Great automobile. If you dont mind me asking how much did it cost you USD? just wanted to see market value these days

Congrats on the car.It is a technological masterpiece.I had one on order but the looks just don't do it for me.Enjoy

the E60 BMW has 500hp V10, same as in the M6. Great automobile. If you dont mind me asking how much did it cost you USD? just wanted to see market value these days

In Australia, they cost about the same as an E55 if that helps. Sorry, I don't know the cost in USD but it is around $A230K. Our taxes are higher here and luxury cars usually come with all options.

I have one on order as well but I don't think I'm going to take it either. The looks don't do it any justice. I had mine pretty much loaded for about $92k USD including the gas guzzler tax. Add another 8% for sales tax to that. Mine has not gone into production so I'm still eligable to get my deposit back. Thanks for the update

about 530 hp.

congrats on buying this great car! where are you located, if you dont mind me asking?

about 530 hp.

congrats on buying this great car! where are you located, if you dont mind me asking?

Adelaide, South Australia

i don't get E-gear is quicker then SMGIII?

When you pull the paddle to change up with e-gear, the change happens immediately. When you do the same with SMGIII (at least in the modes I've been using) there is a slight delay before the change happens. Maybe it gets quicker when run in.

OTOH, the downchanges are about as quick. And the auto mode is much smarter than the auto mode in the e-gear. It is smoother and much less lurchy than the Gallardo at low speed.

From what I understand the SMG is more of an manumatic tranny like the AMG's (My E55 shifts the same way) The E-gear is a real F-1 gear box with an actual clutch, the only thats missing is the clutch pedal.

From what I understand the SMG is more of an manumatic tranny like the AMG's (My E55 shifts the same way) The E-gear is a real F-1 gear box with an actual clutch, the only thats missing is the clutch pedal.

No, the SMG has a clutch and is identical to the e-gear in operation - although is is a 7 speed. The E55 is an automatic with a torque converter.

Here's some info...

http://europeancarweb.com/firstlook/0501ec_m5/

congrats mhh! lovely car, sure you'll really going to enjoy it! btw the car actually limits the revs to 5500rpm the first 2k's??!!

congrats mhh! lovely car, sure you'll really going to enjoy it! btw the car actually limits the revs to 5500rpm the first 2k's??!!

Mike, I meant I need to show self restraint until 2000km. Hard to do when the powerband is just being reached. :)

are you the first person to get the E60 M5 in Australia?

t

No, they have been arriving for about a month now. There will be 80 on the road by Xmas. I think mine is the second on the road in Adelaide.

No, the SMG has a clutch and is identical to the e-gear in operation - although is is a 7 speed. The E55 is an automatic with a torque converter.

Here's some info...

http://europeancarweb.com/firstlook/0501ec_m5/

Hmm, thanks for the info. I wonder why it does not shift as fast as the e-gear.

I have one on order, but I want a M6 now. I currently have a 2005 E60 525i that I bought to get the feel of the new E60's, I wasn't sure what to expect from a totally redesigned 5 series. Having previously owned a E34 and E39, I was spooked.