Aston's new Vantage V8 laps the Ring in 8:03...

Mako

I can't read German(im assuming) but thats a damn sexy car, thanks Mako.

Interesting tidbit:

The Vantage V8 apparantly comes stock with Bridgestone RE050 tires. But there's an option for Pirelli P-Zero Corsas, which are a stickier tire than the usual (and optional on the Gallardo as well).

From trying to translate some of the text above via software, it looks like the Vantage turned an 8:13 when shod with the RE050s, and an 8:03 when it was equipped with the P-Zero Corsas.

I mention this because F-car loyalists gave Allan and I a lot of shit on other boards prior to L-Power existing because we "exposed" the 360CS' Ring time of 7:56 as being bullshit due to it being the only F-car to come stock with P-Zero Corsas, while the Gallardo's 7:52 time was turned on normal P-Zero Rossas.

We've always wondered what both the M and the G would turn at the Ring on Corsas instead of the Rossas that have been tested to date.

Nice to see Pirelli making a leading edge tire again....

After the initial P-zero hype , seemed like Pirelli went quiet for awhile, but now they're back. :supz:

Nice to see Pirelli making a leading edge tire again....

After the initial P-zero hype , seemed like Pirelli went quiet for awhile, but now they're back.  :supz:

They're not. At all.

The Corsa is a "cheat" tire, basically half the treadwear life/softer compound versus a Michelin PS2, or Bridgestone RE050, etc, with slightly better grip. Very similar to say the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup.

It's Pirelli's way of trying to stay competitive in a world that left them behind long ago. Way to miss the point of my post G. lol... ;)

Haha.

Well, it's all good.....us 308 guys pine for those Yoko AVS tires that provide tremendous grip in the dry and are dangerous in the rain. It's how we stay competitive :)

The Yoko AVS series...now that brings back memories. That line has always been such a good bargain, I can remember trying to buy them in college 15 years ago.

I remember the AVS "Dry"...something about them stopping production on it due to having issues in the rain. Then I remember buying many sets of AVS "Intermediates".

I went to the AM V8 launch party a few weeks back, and have the following observations after seeing the car in person ...

The good - interior is stunning, true quality and a real work of art.

The not-so-good - at a glance the exterior still reminds me a 350Z, and the V8 engine looks lost in the engine bay (compared to the DB9 & Vanquish).

For $115K it would make a nice luxury daily driver, but I'd still go for the DB9.

Vantage for me over the DB9, but it's close. The Vantage's dimensions are more symetrical which is a big thing for me, and I see no 350z in it at all (I personally own a G35C btw, car #2). :)

Don't care about the engine bay, as long as it works. ;)

Vantage for me over the DB9, but it's close. The Vantage's dimensions are more symetrical which is a big thing for me, and I see no 350z in it at all (I personally own a G35C btw, car #2). :)

Don't care about the engine bay, as long as it works.  ;)

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how do you like the G35 Coupe??

It looks like the best all around sports coupe you can buy, brand new in that 30-45k segment....

Question is, will it satisfy the sports car driving experience, or is it merely a car which has power and good lateral G capabilities??

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how do you like the G35 Coupe??

It looks like the best all around sports coupe you can buy, brand new in that 30-45k segment....

Question is, will it satisfy the sports car driving experience, or is it merely a car which has power and good lateral G capabilities??

I like it, but swapping between it and the NSX 3.2L are two entirely different worlds. Even though the G35c only weighs a few hundred pounds more, it seems like it's a thousand. You feel the weight.

Very good luxury value, DVD nav, heated seats, satellite radio, stereo controls on the steering wheel, good sound deadening, quality components, dual zone climate control, etc. Nissan did a good job on that car, it's a lot like a German equaivalent from BWM or MB. Strong low end torque, good power.

I haven't found anything else in that $35-40k range that I would pick instead of it for its purpose of being a luxury hauler when I don't feel like being speed racer. But if I had to just pick one of them I'd choose the NSX, even for daily duty. The G35c isn't as alive.

In a year or two, once Aston puts the DB9's semi-auto tranny into the Vantage V8 (all 06s are 6-speeds only) and some of my investments are freed up, I'll replace the G35c with a Vantage, and the NSX with a Gallardo. That would be my perfect tag-team right while still maintaining somewhat of a practical budget. Third car would be a Range Rover HSE.

I love the DB9 overall, I seen a convertible a few days ago and my opinion changed direction. The car was dead sexy, and you could definetly tell this wasn't the SL or XKR league, looked very unique, expensive, and agressive.

Good call on the HSE, it is one fine SUV!!