Help Diagnosing Cam RPM Sensor

cgperry

I have a 99 VT US-spec that is displaying the 'L Check Engine' light. My generic OBD-II scanner indicates P1407 - 'Manufacturer Specific Powertrain Trouble Code' and P0341 - 'Camshaft Position Sensor'. I assume both codes indicate the same error.

I found P0341 in my Diablo shop manual and it indicates 'Cam RPM sensor'. However, that is the last mention of a cam RPM sensor in any of the factory books. I can't find further mention of it in my shop manual or in my parts manual. The thing that appears closest is the 'engine timing sensor' on the driver's side bank, which has seperate outputs for 1-6 and 7-12, but this doesn't sound the same.

Can anyone tell/show me where the cam RPM sensor is on the motor? Are there seperate units for each intake cam for the VVT?

My history with Ferrari always leads me to assume an electrical connection problem before an actual sensor failure, so I'm trying to find the plug to treat it with some Stabilant-22 before replacing the sensor.

I removed the temp probe from the cat to make sure it hadn't melted or anything. It looked good so I polished it a little and reinstalled it. The CEL went out when I re-started the car. Looks like I'm ok for the moment. I've ordered some Stabilant-22 and will treat the connectors on the cam position sensors when it comes in. I think that should do for a while.

And for the record, thanks to John at SportAuto for his help.