Power Steering Pump Shaft Replacement

lilevo

Common issue with 04-06 Gallardo from what I have read. The splines on the power steering pump side of the drive shaft strip and you lose power steering. Short video I made of the process.

Is there a way to tell before it goes? I took my car in recently because the power steering has been very loud sounding, like a pump whine. In a normal car, I'd tell you the pump was bad and to replace it right away. But the steering feels fine, and they told me the sound is normal on these cars. The owner started up his personal 04 G for me, and it sounded similar, so I took his word for it.

Is there a way to tell before it goes? I took my car in recently because the power steering has been very loud sounding, like a pump whine. In a normal car, I'd tell you the pump was bad and to replace it right away. But the steering feels fine, and they told me the sound is normal on these cars. The owner started up his personal 04 G for me, and it sounded similar, so I took his word for it.

Nope. It will just stop working. Then it will likely sound like rattling/grinding noise which subside after 10-20 miles as the shaft fully wears smooth :icon_mrgreen: