Is there really a difference between early/late '99 diablos?

RovinC

I have been told more than once now that late build cars (after august) have better heads (6.0 ones), better brakes and upgraded electronics.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I have heard it from 3 different places now, but cant seem to find facts to verify it.

Anyone?

C.

Guest mark m

My 99 parts manual does show two different heads, early and late.

When I get home tonight I'll look to see if I can see a diff.

Mark

Guest mark m
I have been told more than once now that late build cars (after august) have better heads (6.0 ones), better brakes and upgraded electronics.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I have heard it from 3 different places now, but cant seem to find facts to verify it.

Anyone?

C.

looking at my 99 roadster parts manual, Motor #2220 and later have different heads & valve covers, the phase sensors and phase sensor plates on the front of the heads are also different. Chain Stretcher and cam gear mounting different. Covers on back of heads eliminated. Cams and valves are the same. I don't see any variation in brakes and electronics.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

looking at my 99 roadster parts manual, Motor #2220 and later have different heads & valve covers, the phase sensors and phase sensor plates on the front of the heads are also different. Chain Stretcher and cam gear mounting different. Covers on back of heads eliminated. Cams and valves are the same. I don't see any variation in brakes and electronics.

Mark

Mark: I'm making the assumption that the motor # and last 4 didgits of the VIN are the same, right? With my last 5 didgits of my 99 being 12264, it should have the 6.0 parts?

Thanks

Frank

looking at my 99 roadster parts manual' date=' Motor #2220 and later have different heads & valve covers, the phase sensors and phase sensor plates on the front of the heads are also different. Chain Stretcher and cam gear mounting different. Covers on back of heads eliminated. Cams and valves are the same. I don't see any variation in brakes and electronics.

Mark[/quote']

Mark: I'm making the assumption that the motor # and last 4 didgits of the VIN are the same, right? With my last 5 didgits of my 99 being 12264, it should have the 6.0 parts?

Thanks

Frank

Let's get the car's out Frank!

SR

Guest mark m

Engine number is not the same as the vin.

I just checked my engine number: L522 2555, my vin is 12372, 11/99 build date.

You need a mirror and flashlight to see the number

Mark

looking at my 99 roadster parts manual' date=' Motor #2220 and later have different heads & valve covers, the phase sensors and phase sensor plates on the front of the heads are also different. Chain Stretcher and cam gear mounting different. Covers on back of heads eliminated. Cams and valves are the same. I don't see any variation in brakes and electronics.

Mark[/quote']

Thanks

Frank

Let's get the car's out Frank!

SR

Steve-how about this weekend?

frank

Guest mark m
Mark:  Thanks for the info on where to look for the engine #.  I will look at it tonight.  Where did you get your build date from?  I didn't see it on my drivers door plate.

Thanks

Frank

Frank, It should be under your drivers door

Mark

Mark: Thanks for the info on where to look for the engine #. I will look at it tonight. Where did you get your build date from? I didn't see it on my drivers door plate.

Thanks

Frank

Frank, It should be under your drivers door

Mark

Mark: I will look at my door panel tonight for the build date, but I don't think it is on my plate (seems strange-looked at it last night-maybe I'm going blind). BTW, I did check my engine number and it is L522 2273, which is good. I've also looked at photos of valve covers and heads on a 6.0 and they do look exactly the same as mine. The fact that they are the same is very interesting. I wonder if there is any additional performance difference due to the differences on late build 99s.

Frank

Sounds good Frank! Let me know.

Steve-will be in touch-we need to check the barometric pressure, temperature, dew point and determine if there is rain anywhere in the continental US.

Frank