Emissions Inspection Via OBDII

whart

MY 6.0 is in fine fettle, and just got back from a comprehensive go over at Wil de Groots. Problem- NY State now tests emissions by plugging into the car's computer, and for some reason, given how the test is done (requiring the car to be shut off for an interval before it is restarted for the emissions test), the state's computer reads: neither cat sensor nor H20 sensor are operative.

This seems like some strange incompatability between how the state's computer test is set up and how the 6.0 is programmed. When I last had the car inspected in NY, they were still using a wand to measure exhaust output, and the car passed w/o any problem.

I have had a discussion with the emissions guys in Albany, who acknowledge that their new testing procedure does not work with a variety of exotics, but other than getting a waiver by claiming to have spent 450 dollars on OBD repairs- which waiver is only good for a year, until the next inspection interval- I'm at a loss. Anybody have any similar experiences?

Whart, do you think you could take it to a dealer and have get some kind of document stating that the cars Cat sensor and H2O sensor are in perfect working order ? Take that document, that would be dated, and use that to show that their new system doesn't work with lamborghinis system and that they are working fine ? Just a thought , and might be enough to get you through if you show them their system is not set up for lambo's ?

Thanks, 'Kid.' wil de Groot offered to do that, but the state system is a computer which either passes or fails ya. Nobody to talk to who exercises any discretion, or to whom you can show that piece of paper, and have them agree that it is a software incompatability.Yes, there is a waiver procedure if you can show it is an OBD problem, you spend 450 bucks to try and fix said OBD and it still fails.

But, not all is lost. First, I suspect that the sensors reset when you turn the car off, and the test requires that you turn the car on, then turn it off for over 30 seconds before the emissions measurements. Second, the guys at the DMV were actually not assholes.

Third, I reached out to Lambo Tech Services by phone today- they immediately got on it, said they were aware of this kind of issue and will help me get to the bottom of it painlessly. Frankly, if they do that, they will have proven that the negatives about Lambo support and service are not what people make them out to be- I'll report back once I get their solution, which may be as soon as tomorrow. Thanks for the input, guy.

Whart, I have had the same issues exactly. Seems Dmv reads as soon as the car is on but monitors kick on eventualy. Watching the inspection process, could we just leave car on !

What a pain.....

I know that Ferrari has issued a service campaign on cars as old as 355's to install new OBDII connectors free of charge.

So, the solution was twofold: DMV allowed the station to use the old style wand in the tailpipe to measure emissions, and I got my sticker. In the meantime, Lambo US advises that they will reflash my computer at some point w/o charge. Was a huge PITA trying to get this sorted out until I contacted Lambo, whose help was essential to the solution.

Kudos to the manufacturer. :)

Dunno about the name of the computer system used by the dMv, anTonio, if that is what you are asking. I must have devoted 20 hours to sorting this stupid issue out- frankly, i should have called Lambo sooner, b/c they essentially got the ball rolling on the solution. regards,

So, the solution was twofold: DMV allowed the station to use the old style wand in the tailpipe to measure emissions, and I got my sticker. In the meantime, Lambo US advises that they will reflash my computer at some point w/o charge. Was a huge PITA trying to get this sorted out until I contacted Lambo, whose help was essential to the solution.

Kudos to the manufacturer. :)

Lambo came thru, that is very cool and should make other owners happy to know they came thru.

I have had similar issues with Virginia OBDII testing. The testing facility provided me with a 2 page list of driving conditions that must be met in order to get the lambo computer into "ready test mode". As I am a customer of Wils also, I have faxed a copy to him. You also have to make sure that the battery power is not turned off after you go thru the list. I have a habit of turning my battery off as soon as I turn off the car. If you do turn the battery off, you have to do the things on the list again as the computer will reset..