Brake Pads advice, dirty rear wheels

axis007

Just out of Curiosity, what kind of brake pads are you guys running out there , ! have a 86 QV DD, ex-John Nichols, Tony Lambos, the rear wheels seems to get full of Brake dust everytime I drive it, more so than the front wheels, have you guys find any pads out there that emits less dust? just a thought. I drive the car often and hate cleaning the wheels everytime I drive it.

thanks in advance.

Just out of Curiosity, what kind of brake pads are you guys running out there , ! have a 86 QV DD, ex-John Nichols, Tony Lambos, the rear wheels seems to get full of Brake dust everytime I drive it, more so than the front wheels, have you guys find any pads out there that emits less dust? just a thought. I drive the car often and hate cleaning the wheels everytime I drive it.

thanks in advance.

Welcome to the wheel cleaning club. Not sure why you have not mentioned the front wheels too... If they dont get dusty as well, let me know what brake pad you use on the front.

Just got through replacing the front pads on my 87 QV with porterfield r4s pads. My old pads left plenty of dust in just a hundred miles or so of use in city/highway driving (about half and half). I only have about 200 miles or so on the porterfields and the dust is non-existent at this point in time. They did not feel good at first, took more pedal pressure and a longer distance to stop. However, it just seems they needed a bit to bed in as they seem to be as good as the originals now and seem to still be getting better through usage. So far, I have seen no fade whatsoever from them. It's going to take some more mileage before the verdict is in, but at this point in time, they are at least as good as the originals.

If the weather permits, I'll have a another 900 miles on them over Thanksgiving, so should be able to give a better opinion about them them!!

Just got through replacing the front pads on my 87 QV with porterfield r4s pads. My old pads left plenty of dust in just a hundred miles or so of use in city/highway driving (about half and half). I only have about 200 miles or so on the porterfields and the dust is non-existent at this point in time. They did not feel good at first, took more pedal pressure and a longer distance to stop. However, it just seems they needed a bit to bed in as they seem to be as good as the originals now and seem to still be getting better through usage. So far, I have seen no fade whatsoever from them. It's going to take some more mileage before the verdict is in, but at this point in time, they are at least as good as the originals.

If the weather permits, I'll have a another 900 miles on them over Thanksgiving, so should be able to give a better opinion about them them!!

thanks for your input, I may try a set of the porterfield pads, do you have a part number?

Just got home yesterday after putting 930 miles on the new porterfield pads. The braking is better than it has ever been before and I had virtually no dust on the wheels. The only way I could tell if there was any at all, was to wipe my finger across the wheel. Still can't tell how much was a tiny bit of dirt rather than brake dust. Nothing but peaise for them!!!

thanks for your input, I may try a set of the porterfield pads, do you have a part number?

Ap163. Go to porterfields site for their phone number. I had them cut the pads down a bit in thickness, then found out my calipers were not retracting all the way. If they ask about it, just tell them I made a mistake about the required thickness as I haven't called them back to let them know.