Proper weight for gear oil?

Blue-V10

Looking at my 2004 owner's manual there is a misprint: the trans lube is specified as 75w50. I've only seen 75w90 and 75w140.

I was thinking of using a synthetic with my next change -- maybe Castrol or Mobil 1 so I wonder what is specified in other people's owner's manuals.

Has anyone used either of these lubes? I don't particularly have any complaints about the shifting, but I wonder if there would be any improvements.

Thanks.

75w-90 is the correct weight.

Just be CERTAIN that Mobil 1 is approved for use in transmissions that have 'yellow metals'. Most are not. In addition to that, keep in mind that the trans shares fluid with the rear diff which requires the correct friction modifiers for the limited slip differential.

Since I couldn't verify much about Castrol Syntec 75w-90 or any of the others, I just went to the dealer and got the correct AGIP Rotra LSX fluid. I think I paid about $130 for 8 quarts.

I think Doltmo just did a trans fluid service, and listed it in great detail on here. I believe he used Redline fluid.

Good luck!

Thanks Mike.

I did look at the Agip site and their lube seems to have different specs than Mobil 1.

And it is also a full synthetic lube.

Since I am not fixing a problem I think I'll back off and just use factory spec lube.

I figured it was the standard weight, "75w50" made no sense.

I used Red Line MTL (75W80) on my last change, based on recommendation from a Lambo tech who frequently haunts this forum. I think I'll try Red Line MT-90 (75W90) next time. The 75W80 is probably a better choice for cooler climates or if you're having shifting problems when the gearbox is cold. I believe he recommended Castrol for e-gear boxes, but don't recall the weight. Also not sure why the manuals and e-gears are on a different diet.

I used RedLine Shockproof Superlight for my 07 e-gear rear diff and gears. It really made clutching easier and smoother except for 2 into 3 which still gives a mechanical sound at engagement.

Would Redline MTL be better for e-gear?

I used RedLine Shockproof Superlight for my 07 e-gear rear diff and gears. It really made clutching easier and smoother except for 2 into 3 which still gives a mechanical sound at engagement.

Would Redline MTL be better for e-gear?

Quoting from Red Line's web site, http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=42&pcid=8

regarding Superlight ShockProof gear oil:

"Avoid use with pumps, coolers, and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging."

The Gallardo has all three.

Do tell why?

It appears to be an automatic transmission fluid, similar to Dexron. I'm not an expert, so you should get a second opinion.

It says Automatic/Manual Transmission.

I am told that it flows differently and the additives are different but don't know how it will perform.

I am going to use it to flush away the Shockproof Superlight and will refill with MTL.

Thanks so much.

Get redline MTL. It is what we at the dealeship used in Manuel cars. With egear systems we used 70/90 from castrol syntech with limited slip additive.

Get redline MTL. It is what we at the dealeship used in Manuel cars. With egear systems we used 70/90 from castrol syntech with limited slip additive.

Thanks so much.

When you say e-gear systems, do you mean the gear box and rear differentials or the e-gear controller?

I just changed to MTL and there's still a mechanical clunk when I shift from 2nd into 3rd. Also, there now seems to be vibration when running in 4th. Any ideas?

For rear diff/gearbox, local Lambo dealer uses Mobil 1 75W90 syntetic with some GM additive added, into Gallardos, including ours. Works!

GM additive? Anyone know which one? Also the ratio to add?

• 4 weeks later...
GM additive? Anyone know which one? Also the ratio to add?

For those who want to stick to the factory specs, like me, I would just call americanagip.com, the NY branch, as the PA branch only sells in 5G buckets and did not have the synthetic blend, and just order what you need....I just ordered a case (they sell by the case) 12 qts for $75.00 (that's $6.25 a quart) which will cover both front and rear diffs. which I think you only need 6qts for both as per the manual.

I called (3) lambo dealerships and they all use diff. ones, which was scary to me...here is the answer I got from (3) diff. dealers:

Redline

Tutela

VW/Audi G052171A2

Not sure why the dealer, who can easily get AGIP would not use the factory recommended....(price I'm sure is factor but still, they have to warranty these cars...)

Maybe the above 3 are better than AGIP brand/mix but I personally, like to use what is recommended off the factory.

My dealer, MAG, (formerly Lamborghini Ohio) recommends the VW/Audi G052171A2 fluid, which incidentally has an official Lambo part number 0024016729 .... and a corresponding "Lambo" price about 3x the equivalent Redline lube.

Bro 02tts, it is interesting that you say AGIP is the factory spec oil for the US.

My owner manual says Burma which was sold to Castrol then to BP and the particular grade no longer on BP list.