Strange Noise after Startup

ctomic

Hi,

Recently I had to add a new "problem" to my Gallardo 04 Problem list. Maybe someone had a similar experiences before.

When I start the car and I get this quite loud buzzing noise from the rear left after approx 5 seconds. this noise lasts for

approx 20 sec and disappears, no matter if I move the car or not. This sound only appears when the car is left still overnight- that

means not been started for like 10-12hours. Furthermore i recognized that if u put the car in Neutral and press the gas a bit during

the buzzing time it seems to have some problems getting enough petrol or similar as it starts to stutter. I will try to upload a soundfile later.

I know the description is very rough but maybe anyone saw this problem before....

all the best,

chris

There are several key components on the left rear of the car. It would be hard to give an idea unless there is a video with a sound file.

Some of the components are external oil pump, power steering pump, air conditioner compressor, vacuum reservoir, brake booster vacuum piping, fuel filter for bank 6-10, and oil cooler.

Will be waiting for the video and/or sound file

hi euro_c,

sending you the soundlink as requested:

http://audiko.net/ringtone/lambo/Noise?rin...4&featured=

you can here the noise starts 8 seconds after staring the car- a high pitched scratching sound. It gets really loud after 14 seconds. and slowly dissapears after 20 seconds.

I held the microfone right next to the left rear wheel.

maybe this helps.

all the best,

chris

There are several key components on the left rear of the car. It would be hard to give an idea unless there is a video with a sound file.

Some of the components are external oil pump, power steering pump, air conditioner compressor, vacuum reservoir, brake booster vacuum piping, fuel filter for bank 6-10, and oil cooler.

Will be waiting for the video and/or sound file

That sounds like the pump in the bottom of the airbox. Pull the plug for it, and see if it goes away.

CTOMIC - Great sound clip.

This is what I have gathered: I believe you are having two noises combined, one of them which is very pronounced is the oil pump and the other very faint is the power steering pump. How is the oil quality of the engine and the power steering pump?

The reason for the oil pump noise is when the engine is cold, oil is at its thickest state, the pump is somewhat forcing this thick oil through out the engine thus resulting in the noise.

Here is what I would do; I would have a second opinion from a local technician to verify the source of the noise. If it is what I think it is, the oil pump should be replaced at a qualified repair facility. They are tricky and somewhat challenging to replace as I have done so in several vehicles in the past.

Best of luck and let us know what the outcome has been.

hi euro_c

thanks for your reply!! the engine oil has been changed 6.000 kilometers ago, that was around 12 month ago when i had in inspection at lamborghini.

About the steering oil it doesnt really say anything in the last overview. You think i can still continue driving with that problem until the next inspection

or could this harm the engine or car?

all the best,

chris

CTOMIC - Great sound clip.

This is what I have gathered: I believe you are having two noises combined, one of them which is very pronounced is the oil pump and the other very faint is the power steering pump. How is the oil quality of the engine and the power steering pump?

The reason for the oil pump noise is when the engine is cold, oil is at its thickest state, the pump is somewhat forcing this thick oil through out the engine thus resulting in the noise.

Here is what I would do; I would have a second opinion from a local technician to verify the source of the noise. If it is what I think it is, the oil pump should be replaced at a qualified repair facility. They are tricky and somewhat challenging to replace as I have done so in several vehicles in the past.

Best of luck and let us know what the outcome has been.

Don't change your oil based on mileage being you don't put much mileage. A rule of thumb to have is at the least change your engine oil twice a year. The reason being is that they are not driven allot of miles but the climate changes from winter to summer do affect oil condition. I always recommend my customers to do their services in the spring time and in the fall just before the summer and winter months. Start off with that because I believe that is your primary issue. Then from there let me know your results.

Best Wishes to you Chris.

sounds like the secondary air pump do what mike said and it should go away... i have heard this same noise on a couple of different g's including my own

tim

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the same exact noise. I start my car and after about 10 seconds there is a load buzzing sound and it goes away after the engine gets warm.

I am interested to know the solution to this .

Scot

Hi,

I have the same exact noise. I start my car and after about 10 seconds there is a load buzzing sound and it goes away after the engine gets warm.

I am interested to know the solution to this .

Scot

There is no 'solution'. That pump it supposed to run for a few seconds after startup.