Trailering the G to austin... but have question about front end lift

el_chorizo

I need to trailer the G to Austin, and the trailer that we are using is pretty tight. I can get more clearance in the front if I can leave the front end lift system "lifted" -- it would help immensely. What I'm wondering is what type of damage this might or might not cause to the shocks, lift system, etc. to leave it jacked up for a prolonged period of time (figure 30 hours or so).

Anyone done this, have any ideas, etc?

Guys, wanted to update you on what we ended up doing.

The U-Haul trailer has an area where you are supposed to pull your front wheel over the straps that then fit all the way over your tire and hold you in place in the front, but they also have metal bumpers that were too high for my bumper to clear.

We ended up unbolting the "upper" portion of these metal bumpers (2 bolts, used an impact wrench) and the bumper just cleared at that point so we were able to position the car on the trailer without any other hassles and without having to use the front end lift system for the duration of the trip.

Took us 3 minutes to unbolt the bumper and they weren't necessary anyway.

We used criss-crossing tie straps in the back and the car did not move in the slightest.

My car is lowered so if mine will clear the front I think everyone's will.... that brought us to the 2nd problem.

Even though the U-Haul trailer has a wheel well that "lowers" so you can open your door, mine would hit. We would then jack it up on the drivers side under the front wheel by about 2" and the door would clear.

All in all things went very smoothly and I'm now in my house in Austin/Cedar Park... i've yet to see any Lambo's at all here.

I am in need of a good automotive shop for my Camaro though as the clutch started to go out on the way up here.

Guys, wanted to update you on what we ended up doing.

The U-Haul trailer has an area where you are supposed to pull your front wheel over the straps that then fit all the way over your tire and hold you in place in the front, but they also have metal bumpers that were too high for my bumper to clear.

We ended up unbolting the "upper" portion of these metal bumpers (2 bolts, used an impact wrench) and the bumper just cleared at that point so we were able to position the car on the trailer without any other hassles and without having to use the front end lift system for the duration of the trip.

Took us 3 minutes to unbolt the bumper and they weren't necessary anyway.

We used criss-crossing tie straps in the back and the car did not move in the slightest.

My car is lowered so if mine will clear the front I think everyone's will.... that brought us to the 2nd problem.

Even though the U-Haul trailer has a wheel well that "lowers" so you can open your door, mine would hit. We would then jack it up on the drivers side under the front wheel by about 2" and the door would clear.

All in all things went very smoothly and I'm now in my house in Austin/Cedar Park... i've yet to see any Lambo's at all here.

I am in need of a good automotive shop for my Camaro though as the clutch started to go out on the way up here.

Welcome to Austin!

There are several lambos in your vicinity..

You should bring it by the car's and coffee show. It's in Leander this Sunday.

Welcome to Austin!

There are several lambos in your vicinity..

You should bring it by the car's and coffee show. It's in Leander this Sunday.

I should be free Sunday.... do you have more info? A thread where people discuss meeting place/time/etc?

• 1 month later...

wow...you used a uhaul trailer? I was wondering if those were condusive to trailering a Ferrari or Lambo. If/when I get one, I want to trailer it to Road Atlanta for the track days.