Weird noise in the Gallardo

Dr. Noisewater

I went to test drive an 04 Gallardo for a friend today. I wanted to put my eyes on it before he flew in to purchase the car.

The car was great but I noticed that when shifting to 4th at 2k and just cruising, "no acceleration" there was a vibration coming from the rear of the car. I went to 3rd gear at 2k and it was there again. When I engaged the clutch it stopped, let the clutch out and there it was.

Is this normal in these cars? I have never experienced it in the Murci.

I wanted to be able to give it a "pass" on my inspection. Id hate to have him come all this way to have an issue.

I have an 04 G with 20k miles on it...had since '07.... Its an Egear and does not do this at all. Smooth and quiet between all gears. Could it be the exhaust note at such a low RPM? Or a real virbation in the car? Does not sound normal to me.

D'oh...But from what I recall (now that I read that old thread), I only noticed it at idle, and it was very, very faint. You really had to look at the steering wheel/keys to notice the vibration. Don't recall it ever happening while driving as the OP indicates.

This isnt just resonance form the stock exhaust note and I dint have to accelerate to make the noice appear. Clutch in quiet, clutch in rev t o2k when going down the road and quiet, in gear crusiing at 2k rpms and it vibrates.

This leads me to believe its from the tranny to the rear end, maybe a u joint or drive shaft? Maybe someone had the engine out for service and didnt reinstall the balanced shafts in the same position they came out?

This isnt just resonance form the stock exhaust note and I dint have to accelerate to make the noice appear. Clutch in quiet, clutch in rev t o2k when going down the road and quiet, in gear crusiing at 2k rpms and it vibrates.

This leads me to believe its from the tranny to the rear end, maybe a u joint or drive shaft? Maybe someone had the engine out for service and didnt reinstall the balanced shafts in the same position they came out?

It wouldn't be U- (or CV) joints if that's the case. Because 2k in 2nd gear would spin the CV joints slower than 2k in 3rd gear. Plus, even with the clutch pedal depressed, the CVs and driveshaft are still spinning.

What you experience seems to be RPM related, not road speed or velocity related. So probably an engine or clutch issue.

If it's that noticable, I would probably want to walk away, or get it checked out by an experienced mechanic via PPI.

I have had a '05 coupe and an '08 Spyder and they both had a vibration at 2,000 RPM. With the coupe I was concerned, but having it in the second car from new convinced me it was no problem

Yes its normal, have the same thing on my 06, its called lugging, you really need to shift and drive any pre Lp G at or above 3k rpm. The new engine with EFI in the LP560 corrected that issue, pulls nicely and smoothly at lower rpms.

Update, the car had this horrible carbon fiber looking "Honda Civic" wing on it that looked hideous. It was flat mounted on the bonnet so once you hit any kind of speed it would bounce like a spring causing the car to vibrate.

lol