Need easy replacement speaker/amp+ subwoofer ideas- 99SV

Ecnal

My 99 SV's at Wil DeGroot's getting a bunch of things done, and I decided to have the Pioneer AVIC-N2 stereo/nav/rear camera installed.

"While he's at it" I am thinking about upgrading the amp and the door speakers, and maybe putting a subwoofer behind the seat. I'm not an audiophile but want decent quality.

My questions are, (1) what is an easy (and better) match for the stock amp and speakers? I don't want to modify the look of the car or do something that involves cutting the window guides, etc., and (2) what is the best small sub to fit behind a seat with no interference with the seat and a minimum amount of modification.

Any help is appreciated.

ECnal: As you know, i had Wil install the same head in my 6.0, but i don't use the audio at all. I suspect that the stock amp is pretty lame. I am not really a car audio guy, since i find most systems to be unmusical, but i do have alot of experience with serious home audio. So, i'm pretty picky....

You might look into the McIntosh car amp, it's multi-channel, don't know if you can bridge 2 of the channels for more power to a sub. The trick isn't just raw power- although, like hp and torque, that helps, but also how the amp sounds. I use a variant of the Mac as a backup amp in a serious home video system, and at least for those purposes, which aren't hypercritical, it holds it's own with Audio Research monoblock tube amps that cost more, for one channel, that the entire Mac multichannel chassis.

On speakers, I have no idea what will fit but can recommend that you research the following brands: Dynaudio, Focal, MB Quart. Here's a site that carries all three, not recommending them as a supplier, but simply as a source of info. http://www.woofersetc.com/store.asp

As to woofers, part of the trick is a rigid, properly configured enclosure. It might be worth researching whether you can find a self-contained unit that will fit and will avoid cutting altogether. Another possibility is a speaker made by a Danish company called Jamo. I bought several sets for background music in our downstairs living area at home, the speakers are very thin, planar types that are entirely enclosed in an unobtrusive cabinet. I'm suprised at how musical they are. This company makes a variety of products including an "in-wall" woofer which might be worth exploring, even though i think all their products are for home indoor/outdoor use. See http://www.jamo.com/Default.asp?ID=1711 Let us know what you come up with.

Thanks for the reply! BTW your car looks cool from the pics on Wil's site.

I decided to do a relatively low-dollar solution, which was recommended by a very nice guy at Wil's. I am putting a 10" sub behind the seat and leaving the other speakers the same, just upgrading the amp to another Alpine unit. I'm also adding the iPod hookup and the satellite tuner to the head.

I think this will be more than enough pimping of my ride, at least for my tastes.

By the way, anyone reading this who needs work done ought to consider Wil DeGroot's shop (Exoticars USA), even if they live out of the area, as I do. It has been a pleasure dealing with them up to this point. I ended up having quite a bit done and will do a full post when I get my car back if anyone is interested.

yeah, i really like wil. he is a straight shooter. and, very much of the we'll figure it out school, meticulous, and thoughtful, but not afraid to dive in.