Single bolt Vband clamps for primary cats

LW Lambo

I have a Pre-LP 6spd manual. I need to reinstall the primary factory cats. The current exhaust is Larini with straight pipes. I will keep this exhaust but will only replace the straight pipes with the factory primary cats. Here are my questions for this project:

Will using an after market single bolt vband clamp make the reinstall easier? Will this clamp be compatible with factory cats?

There are three sensors for each cat/straight pipe. How do you remove the sensors while the cat/straight pipe is still in the car? I tried from the top, but they are so far down that I cannot reach them. I tried from the bottom, but the pipes are in the way and I can't reach around them very well. Is there enough slack on the wires that I can actually remove the cat/pipe first, then drop them to the floor and then we move the sensors? How did you guys remove them?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

I replaced my primary cats with straight pipes a while back and went with v-band clamps vice the OEM clamps. Its nearly impossible to reinstall the OEM clamps as there isn't enough room in there as you will find yourself working with one hand. So yes the v-band clamps are easier. For removing the bolting on the clamps, I went with a small pass through type ratchet/socket. Once you get the clamps loose you should be able to rotate the straight pipe some to easily access the sensors.

I replaced my primary cats with straight pipes a while back and went with v-band clamps vice the OEM clamps. Its nearly impossible to reinstall the OEM clamps as there isn't enough room in there as you will find yourself working with one hand. So yes the v-band clamps are easier. For removing the bolting on the clamps, I went with a small pass through type ratchet/socket. Once you get the clamps loose you should be able to rotate the straight pipe some to easily access the sensors.

Thanks for the tip about removing the sensors. What v-band clamps did you use? The ones I see require welding of the flanges. Is there a type that does not require welding?

I bought some locally from a local performance shop. Sorry but I forgot the size. They are like the ones below.

eagleday_2267_195491258.jpg

Ok, thanks. I will get those clamps and have them handy.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to remove the factory clamps without breaking them, so I re-used them. For those of you who will undertake this project, only the left side cat front clamp is difficult to remove/install. What helped me was to have 2 people to remove/install this clamp. One person coming from the top side held the wrench in place while the second person from underneath turned the wrench.