Another Tire Question/Problem

IlToro

Cruising on the hwy, my 4WD light comes on. When I got off it went out. I thought, front dif problem. In checking my tire size I find I have 245/40/17's. WRONG! Should be 235/40/17's on a 97.5. I've had the 245's on (mistakenly) for quite a while, never a problem, but now I guess there is. So, problem is there still aren't any Pirelli 17's. Rather than to change all the tires to another brand, I'm thinking to just disconnect the front diff as many have done. Then I can keep my 245's right?

I feel stupid.

Does any body have instructions, I'd rather not remove the whole diff, just disconnect.

For a quick disconnect. Remove drive shaft from transmition to front diff.

Low oil or bad sensor, the 4WD warning system isn't that smart.

According to Shamile's instruction, he removed the drive shaft first. I guess you could just stop there.

This whole tire thing is a mystery to me anyway, right down to reading the size. A 245/40 is 245mm wide. The side wall is suppose to be 40% of that, 98mm. Instead, I measure 75mm from top of tire to wheel rim.

I'm not even sure if the 245's aren't acceptable, come to think of it there's no way 10mm difference is going to destroy a differential in spite of what you read. Maybe I ain't so stupid after all. :eusa_dance:

I will check sensor and oil level.