Fan shroud removal

diablo-jota

Hi all,

I want to remove the fan shrouds from my car to bring it to a powder coating company.

As usual on these cars the downside of the shrouds get rusty after some years because the water gather there.

I untightened all screws and tried to remove the shrouds but i noticed that there is not much space to get these out of the car.

Any ideas or guys who removed them before??

Would be very helpful! Maybe it´s only possible thru the wheel arches but that means radiator removal... maybe too much headache!

But i will use new screws for the shrouds, these are getting rusty and the lower ones are than nearly impossible to remove!

Hope i get some input here.

Regards,

Lambo-Leo

Hi all,

I want to remove the fan shrouds from my car to bring it to a powder coating company.

As usual on these cars the downside of the shrouds get rusty after some years because the water gather there.

I untightened all screws and tried to remove the shrouds but i noticed that there is not much space to get these out of the car.

Any ideas or guys who removed them before??

Would be very helpful! Maybe it´s only possible thru the wheel arches but that means radiator removal... maybe too much headache!

But i will use new screws for the shrouds, these are getting rusty and the lower ones are than nearly impossible to remove!

Hope i get some input here.

Regards,

Lambo-Leo

Yes those lower bolts just sit there and rust, the hardest ones are the inboard lower bolts

Remove the rear deck lid, and exhaust shroud, then remove the two inner bolts holding the radiator in place. You also need to remove the inner wheel well liner, and loosen the bolts that hold the upper air routing shroud. Once that upper air routing shroud is loose, you can push it forward a few inches. With this done, you can (very carefully) lever the radiator forward enough to a) remove those lower inboard bolts and B) then remove fan shroud out the rear.

Good luck!

Geno

Thanks Geno for the advice!

But i will get the shrouds out of the car where the rear grills left and right are stitting normally?

(where the fans are sitting)

Not thru the engine bay right? because there are some frame panels.

Sounds like a lot of work....

Regards,

Leo

Yes those lower bolts just sit there and rust, the hardest ones are the inboard lower bolts

Remove the rear deck lid, and exhaust shroud, then remove the two inner bolts holding the radiator in place. You also need to remove the inner wheel well liner, and loosen the bolts that hold the upper air routing shroud. Once that upper air routing shroud is loose, you can push it forward a few inches. With this done, you can (very carefully) lever the radiator forward enough to a) remove those lower inboard bolts and B) then remove fan shroud out the rear.

Good luck!

Geno

Do you have maybe pictures from the removal?

Now that I looked back thorugh my pictures, I realized you need to remove the rear tail light assembly. That is how you slip the shroud out (and fan)

That job is a bitch, as there is one of the four bolts holding the light assembly in that you need some serious italian gymnatics mechanicing to get at

Its doable, but I do remember thinking "is this worth it?"

Its a little time consuming, and requires alot of patience, but its doable and you should do it. If you want an explaination of how I did it, let me know.

Its pretty intuitive, getting the rear lights out. also, while doing this you can clean them up nicely, and rewire the exhaust fan wiring which is probobaly all cooked and brittle.

Separate the fan from the shroud firts.

Geno

IMG_1036.JPG

I also believe the center piece needs to come out too.

I did the following all at the same time:

refinish emblem

refinish repair center aluminum trim

rewire fan switching

strip and refinish fan shrouds

strip and refinish aluminum slat vents

clean and reset back up lights

clean and polish rear light assembly

check radiator cores.

Thanks for your help! I will think about it... sounds like a lot of work! :eusa_think:

I also believe the center piece needs to come out too.

I did the following all at the same time:

refinish emblem

refinish repair center aluminum trim

rewire fan switching

strip and refinish fan shrouds

strip and refinish aluminum slat vents

clean and reset back up lights

clean and polish rear light assembly

check radiator cores.