Moving to Calgary

IbnRushd

Hi,

This is the only forum I frequent really, so I figured I'd post this here to help figure some things out. I got a six month contract in Calgary so I'm moving there in a week and a half. It's a contract with the National Energy Board and I've never lived in Calgary and was wondering what there was to do there and whatnot. Anyone know any good places or want to meet up? I don't really know anyone in the city, except for one friend that lives in Coventry Hills, I believe.

I'm leaving my cars at home as I will probably get a place near the Beltline (I think it was called) and whatnot. I'm trying to stay between 10th and 17th avenue and Centre street and 10th street West. So I will be walking everywhere.

Just wanted to see, what are some good places in downtown, any areas to avoid? I'm still looking at a few places to rent in the 1300-1600 dollar range, furnished. I don't really want to take much stuff.

Also wanted to see if I could rent a Lamborghini for a day and drive up to lake louise for an evening or something before the snow falls and it gets really cold.

So yeah...anyone know some good places to check out, some stuff to do?

Thanks,

Hi,

This is the only forum I frequent really, so I figured I'd post this here to help figure some things out. I got a six month contract in Calgary so I'm moving there in a week and a half. It's a contract with the National Energy Board and I've never lived in Calgary and was wondering what there was to do there and whatnot. Anyone know any good places or want to meet up? I don't really know anyone in the city, except for one friend that lives in Coventry Hills, I believe.

I'm leaving my cars at home as I will probably get a place near the Beltline (I think it was called) and whatnot. I'm trying to stay between 10th and 17th avenue and Centre street and 10th street West. So I will be walking everywhere.

Just wanted to see, what are some good places in downtown, any areas to avoid? I'm still looking at a few places to rent in the 1300-1600 dollar range, furnished. I don't really want to take much stuff.

Also wanted to see if I could rent a Lamborghini for a day and drive up to lake louise for an evening or something before the snow falls and it gets really cold.

So yeah...anyone know some good places to check out, some stuff to do?

Thanks,

Googling shows a few places renting exotics now, don't know anything about them.

Beltline is fine, everything you need you will be able to walk to. Lots of action on 17th Ave, 4th Street, also up in Marda Loop. I'm not part of the club scene, you're on your own there. Restaurants and shopping... tons to choose from, I can direct you if you have preferences.

Rolls and Ferrari dealership are in the NE. Lamborghini is close to Bentley/Aston Martin in the SE.

Lake Lousie, Banff, Canmore are all nice. The drive there through the mountains is great.

These days I don't have tons of free time however if you need something send PM and I will do my best.

Googling shows a few places renting exotics now, don't know anything about them.

Beltline is fine, everything you need you will be able to walk to. Lots of action on 17th Ave, 4th Street, also up in Marda Loop. I'm not part of the club scene, you're on your own there. Restaurants and shopping... tons to choose from, I can direct you if you have preferences.

Rolls and Ferrari dealership are in the NE. Lamborghini is close to Bentley/Aston Martin in the SE.

Lake Lousie, Banff, Canmore are all nice. The drive there through the mountains is great.

These days I don't have tons of free time however if you need something send PM and I will do my best.

Thank you so much!

Yeah, I checked Google so checking that out.

I'm not part of the club scene either, so I'm not too worried about that. Restaurants, in particular, I enjoy sushi a lot.

No worries, thank you so much, I'll definitely message you when I land!

Thank you so much!

Yeah, I checked Google so checking that out.

I'm not part of the club scene either, so I'm not too worried about that. Restaurants, in particular, I enjoy sushi a lot.

No worries, thank you so much, I'll definitely message you when I land!

Sushi in Beltline is easy, Towa Sushi, Hana Sushi, Sushi Kawa, Globefish. I like Anju down there for progressive Korean. The Guild is excellent for meat.

Congrats on the move. You've picked an interesting time to come to Calgary for the NEB!

The area you've outlined is all fine, insofar that there aren't really any bad parts, just some more lively than others. The best thing to do once you get here is just explore a little. The main nodes are going to be along 4th and 1st street, 17th 11th and the next block over from your office along 10th.

My office is just around the corner from the NEB office (I know some people there too), so if you want to PM me your contact info, we could grab coffee / drink / lunch when you get here and I could try and help you get settled.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, thank you both for the advice and help!

I picked Mark on 10th for Condo, also rented a car and got to see Britannia and all the nice houses in that area and whatnot (down to Bel-Aire and all) so that was awesome. I'm now working at NEB on 10th and 4th street! I'd love to get together for you guys for Lunch and all when you guys are free!

Edit:

Also when I got here on Wednesday, when I got into downtown, probably around 10 or 10:30, I saw a nice red Lamborghini Huracan, looked absolutely gorgeous! I think it was around centre street/1st street and 5th or 6th avenue or so.