Murci starter repairs

Kipper

Hi Members,

I recall reading a thread some time ago that the starter can be removed from an 02 Murci without removing the engine?

Can anyone that has done this pass on to me some details on how it was done or more importantly what the difficulty is

do i need to make any special tools or modify spanners to get it out

I have access to a hoist and capable of manufacturing any gadgets or special tools I may need

I am just wanting to be prepared before i start the process

The problem I am having with the starter is that it clicks when the key is turned, I can hear the solenoid clicking but the starter will not engage

after several attempts the starter will engage

I am assuming that the starter solenoid section will need to be replaced / repaired

Can you purchase rebuild kits for the starter solenoids? and or what are my options

Your feed back will be appreciated

Kipper

i have been dealing with the same problem on my murcie for many years now. i just gotten used to it. it's especially apparent when you haven't used the car in a long time or when the battery is getting old already.

My starter went out a few months back, Lamborghini OC was able to replace the starter without engine removal. From what I was told it is a real PIA.

A new starter was about $1500 and the labor was a few hours.

If you are sure the starter is going out I would replace it immediately, it is no fun trying to load a Murcie with out the front lift system on a flat bed truck.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Members for your responses

I want to have my car right,

Does anyone know where I can buy parts for the starter to repair the solenoid or any contacts on whom can repair the

starters as they may have parts?

alternatively has anyone shopped a price on a new or reconditioned starter recently

Thanks in advance

Kipper

To replace the starter must drain oil, and remove both oil lines from pan, turn the isolator switch off. Remove the large wire from starter remove small wire from where it mounts to bell housing. Partial remove the lower nut from starter it will not come off all the way until upper is lose and starter moved back some. The upper nut is the fun one you can not see it. With the car on a hoist I can get one finger tip on the nut I use a very strong air ratchet to get the upper nut off. The starter then can be worked out and removed.

To replace the starter must drain oil, and remove both oil lines from pan, turn the isolator switch off. Remove the large wire from starter remove small wire from where it mounts to bell housing. Partial remove the lower nut from starter it will not come off all the way until upper is lose and starter moved back some. The upper nut is the fun one you can not see it. With the car on a hoist I can get one finger tip on the nut I use a very strong air ratchet to get the upper nut off. The starter then can be worked out and removed.

Thanks Jeff

I will get the car on the hoist soon an dig the starter out.

To prepare before going onto the hoist can you tell me what type of air ratchet will help or any other description of

extension or specially made up extension that I may need to prepare

I will be borrowing a hoist so I want to get everything i need and prepare

Your comments are much appreciated

Kipper

Thanks Jeff

I will get the car on the hoist soon an dig the starter out.

To prepare before going onto the hoist can you tell me what type of air ratchet will help or any other description of

extension or specially made up extension that I may need to prepare

I will be borrowing a hoist so I want to get everything i need and prepare

Your comments are much appreciated

Kipper

If hoist, meens lift in American lingo, then I would make sure the Murcie will fit on it . Most are too narrow to

accomidate the Murcielago

If hoist, meens lift in American lingo, then I would make sure the Murcie will fit on it . Most are too narrow to

accomidate the Murcielago

Hi Donz

Sorry about our slang, I have two options a two post lift where the 2 wheels on each side are on a skid, this type provides a little less access

under the car, The other is a two post lift with arms that are placed under the car, lets the wheels hang. I will choose the best option when i start the job

Because the lift is at a friends business, I want to try to complete the work in one day, therefore if i remove the starter in the morning and repair it on the same day

alternatively install a new starter immediately

I want to make sure that i have all the unnecessary bits and pieces that i need to not waste time, obtaining the right tools or making custom tools such as special extensions

is not a problem for me it is just i want to be prepared to avoid lost time on the day

The alternative is i might put the car on the lift and eye ball and plan what i need in advance, ideas from those that have done this such as Jeff lambo is ideal

While I am at it i will probably replace the Brake pads and the air duct tubes to the front brakes,

Do you know whether this material can be purchased as an aftermarket part? I will post to see if anyone has any leads here

Keep well

Kipper

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Members,

Just a short update to let you know that I have removed and re-installed the Starter on my 02 Murci

Just as Jeff Lambo suggested in this tread the starter is removable inside the car and the top bolt is difficult to access

all you need is a 3/4 drive socket set and extensions to reach the nut at the top of the starter, a air ratchet makes life easy once

you have broken the initial tightness of the nut using a ratchet.

In my case the starter was clogged in the front throw out section with what appears to be Clutch dust, all we did was clean the entire starter

and it now works perfectly and very smooth.

Thank you Jeff lambo so much for your suggestions and input into this thread, as you have saved me a packet, The Bosch starter in the

Murci uses many common parts with other Bosch starters so I do not see why you would ever need to buy a new replacement. Just repair the

existing if necessary.

Many thanks to you all

Drive safe

Kipper