Electric car thrashes Ferrari and Porsche

courtice6er

Posted Nov 19, 2005, 8:00 AM ET by Stuart Waterman

3060000000054681.JPG

San Francisco TV station KRON 4 has a video that rates as a must-see for all you alternative fuel, performance car types. The video clip features a recent drag race at Infineon Raceway between the all-electric Wrightspeed X-1, a Ferrari 360 and a Porsche Carrera GT.

The minimalist X-1 is the product of Wrightspeed, Inc., Ian Wright’s Silicon Valley startup “using clean technology to make very energy efficient cars that are also very fast.” The X-1 prototype is a U.K.-built Ariel Atom (pictured), modified to use an electric power system from AC Propulsion instead of the Ariel’s Honda iVTEC 4-cylinder powerplant.

While the X-1’s performance is nowhere near the dino-fueled Atom’s (0-100 mph in 6.86 seconds!), it was more than enough to leave the supercars in its dust.

Read

Ehh... What a 'record'. That's not a "car", no windshield. ;)

actually that is a car. it is an Ariel Atom, but with an electric motor. That car is street legal in europe, and you can get them into north america with enough money.

actually, electric motors have the ability to produce ridiculous amounts of torque. this car doesn't suprise me at all...

actually that is a car. it is an Ariel Atom, but with an electric motor. That car is street legal in europe, and you can get them into north america with enough money.

But afaik you can't register it as a car because it doesn't have a windshield, that's what I meant...

But afaik you can't register it as a car because it doesn't have a windshield, that's what I meant...

oh ic.

I was not actally aware of that. hmmm

You probably don't want much of a windshield, it may block some air from going into the air intake behind your head.

I love the Atom, but damn, imagine driving on the road not even pushing hard and getting wacked in teh face by bug's or road debris/little rocks etc. Still want one :twisted: , god would it be fun on a track.

They are being produced in Orgeon right now and have already hit the streets. About 40K I believe.

Posted Nov 19, 2005, 8:00 AM ET by Stuart Waterman

3060000000054681.JPG

San Francisco TV station KRON 4 has a video that rates as a must-see for all you alternative fuel, performance car types. The video clip features a recent drag race at Infineon Raceway between the all-electric Wrightspeed X-1, a Ferrari 360 and a Porsche Carrera GT.

The minimalist X-1 is the product of Wrightspeed, Inc., Ian Wright’s Silicon Valley startup “using clean technology to make very energy efficient cars that are also very fast.” The X-1 prototype is a U.K.-built Ariel Atom (pictured), modified to use an electric power system from AC Propulsion instead of the Ariel’s Honda iVTEC 4-cylinder powerplant.

While the X-1’s performance is nowhere near the dino-fueled Atom’s (0-100 mph in 6.86 seconds!), it was more than enough to leave the supercars in its dust.

Read

How much does that motor weigh????

• 4 months later...
Check out the May 2006 issue of Business 2.0 for a an article about this car. It was a really good read.

the regular atom or the electric one?

the regular one smokes almost everything anyways!

And yes, there already is one registered and insured in CA, and they are currently being built in oregon right now. You're supposed to wear at least protective eyewear, though i would wear a helmet driving that. no need for windscreen, do motorcycles need them? nope

Whats with the rolling start for the 1/4 mile run?