01 6.0 battery completely dead..

PN

I did a search and got solutions for murcies mostly. Should I just change the battery to a new one ? I might not have access to Optima batteries, Bosch Batteries is the best I could get here in Australia. If someone is using Bosch, which part no. should I get ?

TIA,

PN

Edit : I have access to 34R P/N 8003-151 is this the correct battery for the 6.0 ? Would changing the battery and starting her up be ok ? What other precaution should I know before I start her up ?

Thanks

PN , whatever you do don't Hot start or jump that car off. I have heard bad things during hot start with it messing up guage readings ETC. If you need to move the car before you get your new battery put in do a slow charge on over the course of the day. Diablo's are notorious for eating batteries. If you don't start you car over the course of a month your battery will probably be gone and will only get weaker. I went about 3 weeks one time in my car without starting it and it hardly had any juice in it. I replaced the battery with a red top optima and put a small Interstate trickle charger on it and everything works great. Optima is a pretty large company and it would be hard for me to believe that they don't have distributors there. I would do an online search or go to my local "larger" parts store and see if they can get you one. All of our local Auto Zones, Advance autoparts, Napa, ETC carry them or can get them so if you have one of those there check with them.

I have access to both Red and Yellow Top Optima, found the supplier. I do not need to move the car prior jacking. Could you please explain what a hot start means ?

TIA,

PN

PN , you want the red top Optima. The yellow one is a deep cycle battery and is better used in boats, ETC. Hot start means dont jump the car off with cables . You will want to slow charge it. I have heard from reliable sources along with a few owner stories that jump starting them can cause damage to guage readings along with a few other problems so be on the safe side and just put a charge on it and let it charge for a day or two until you can get your red top optima in.

Also , go to the main page and they have a "owners tag" thread . Go there and post a pic of your car and one of the mods will put a lambo owner under you name. Plus i like to see other 6.0's so please share some pics :mrgreen: What color is you car ?

I had the same problems when I took delivery of my 6.0 last year, even though it had a new battery installed by the dealer just weeks before. The car sat, and then was shipped to the East Coast where it sat some more, got PPi'd, then shipped again, and by the time it got to my house, it wouldn't start. Using a 'Battery Tender' type low amp charger for a couple days brought it back. I gather if you use the kill switch (really a knob inside the engine compartment ) you might avoid the problem; otherwise, there is a constant drain on the battery while the car is sitting. The low amp constant charger is the way to go. BTW, MC I (the dealer I bought the car from) claim that the Interstate battery actually seems to do better than the Optima for periodic driving, but I personally have not compared the two types of battery. My car is now in hibernation here in the NE because we have salt on the roads and I won't expose my car to that until it is all washed away by rains, later in the season.

Whart , the battery I took out was an Interstate battery and from my personal experience even when my interstate was new the optima spins and has maintained better. I am sure they all vary some but my red top seems to be better during cranking.

• 2 years later...

sorry to bring back an old thread but i have the same problem and no one really explained how to hook up the trickle charger. I have red top optima, I just let it sit a month and a half and now the battery is dead. Do I have to chock the left rear tire off to hook up the leads from the battery tender? There seems like there must be an easier way!?

sorry to bring back an old thread but i have the same problem and no one really explained how to hook up the trickle charger. I have red top optima, I just let it sit a month and a half and now the battery is dead. Do I have to chock the left rear tire off to hook up the leads from the battery tender? There seems like there must be an easier way!?

Yep, that's the only way to reach the battery. Just hook up the lead en run it into the engine compartment.

I'll try to make a pic tomorrow.

And yes, you need a battery tender with this car !! The first thing I did when I received my car is hook one up, no more flat batteries...:D

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION!

better to not use the search function? BTW I found out in the front left engine compartment you can hook to the nut and bolt that goes through the sheet metal, it connects to the positive lead of the battery.. no chocking the wheel off!

better to not use the search function? BTW I found out in the front left engine compartment you can hook to the nut and bolt that goes through the sheet metal, it connects to the positive lead of the battery.. no chocking the wheel off!

Yes thats an alternative, but I always prefer taking the wheel off, disconnecting the battery and charging it with a proper charger.

This is what the 6.0 and 99 owners manuals suggest. Done it on both cars before without issue. Battery tender is the way to go though.