Transparent Engine Cover

I am looking for quotes to have a transparent engine cover built into the engine cover on my Diablo Roadster. If I do it, I'll be buying another engine cover to have a OEM part as well.

I like the one that Affolter did so I sent them an email:

http://www.lambocars.com/archive/highres/affengine.htm

but it would likely be a bit of a hassle to deal with them since they are in Switzerland.

Anyone have any contacts who might be good at something like this?

I'm looking into it. I have a call into my rep to check material costs. I can make the mold using yours as a plug I just need a bit more info as to material strength and clarity as well as heat resistance

Is anyone doing a clear roof?? That could be fun to do.

Once I know more I will let you know.

Just talked to my the rep. There are basically 3 ways to do this. The correct way being very expensive.

You can have glass formed and made to fit like the roadster in the pics but the whole lid wouldn't be clear.

A fiberglass mold could be made from your engine cover and a clear fiberglass piece could be made however it wouldn't have the clarity of glass and would probably be a bit hazy. You could also use a fiberglass mold to make a clear plastic lid but the heat would be a problem

The correct way to do this would be to have aluminum heated molds of your lid made so that you can make the parts from high heat thermal plastic. The molds are the expensive part. Aluminum molds would run close to $20,000.00

Just talked to my the rep. There are basically 3 ways to do this. The correct way being very expensive.  

You can have glass formed and made to fit like the roadster in the pics but the whole lid wouldn't be clear.  

A fiberglass mold could be made from your engine cover and a clear fiberglass piece could be made however it wouldn't have the clarity of glass and would probably be a bit hazy. You could also use a fiberglass mold to make a clear plastic lid but the heat would be a problem

The correct way to do this would be to have aluminum heated molds of your lid made so that you can make the parts from high heat thermal plastic. The molds are the expensive part.  Aluminum molds would run close to $20,000.00

I just want the same section they did in the pic transparent. Maybe even cut a bit less (for structural support) The way it was cut in the pic looks really nice because of the way it shows off the valve covers. The transparent section would probably need to be made of glass (possibly laminated) because I'm guessing most plexiglass wouldn't do well with the heat. I'd rather have a section cut out and a piece of glass put in with supports instead of a fiberglass piece. It would also need the venting area cut into the glass as in the pic.

I sent a request to a couple places for quotes (including Affolter) but haven't received any replies yet. I shouldn't need a mold made of the cover if a hole and supports are cut in the existing cover.

So, I'm looking for just a transparent section, not a whole clear lid. A whole clear lid might look a bit funny as there isn't much interesting to see in the engine compartment apart from what's in the center.

That doesn't seem to difficult to do. It really is just a matter of getting the glass cut or even bent and having your lid cut and supported. Doesn't seem too difficult. Pm me if you need any help.