Ford GT40

Lamborghinikid

I couldn't sleep last night and I watched a piece on speed vision about the history of the GT40. What an amazing machine! I loved the red Mark 4 car that was in the Ford Museum and the gulf racing colored cars. They also mentioned that the car was banned after 4 consecutive victories at Le Man's but they never said why? Anyone know the scoop behind that? How could a sanction ban a car that had been racing for 4 or 5 years ?

I couldn't sleep last night and I watched a piece on speed vision about the history of the GT40. What an amazing machine! I loved the red Mark 4 car that was in the Ford Museum and the gulf racing colored cars. They also mentioned that the car was banned after 4 consecutive victories at Le Man's but they never said why? Anyone know the scoop behind that? How could a sanction ban a car that had been racing for 4 or 5 years ?

the french were upset that they weren't winning le mans, so they specifically banned the GT in an effort to give the advantage to them.... but well, that specific history aided Porsche with the 917, and Ferrari with the P3/4

They didn't ban the car, per se; but banned its engine size, and created a new set of rules that specifically hurt Ford's effort.

that really didn't matter, however, as by 69, Ford had withdrawn its factory support some time back; and it was then that the Gulf team won as a privateer; with the smaller engine (not the 7.0 DOHC unit that won/dominated the previous year)

anyway.... there is so much history about it, i highly recomend going to the local automotive hobby store and buying a book about it ;)

Le mans always changes its rules. Thats why porsche quit after they won a few yrs in a row. They changed the specs of the cars to where it would cost to much for them to make a new car.

the french were upset that they weren't winning le mans, so they specifically banned the GT in an effort to give the advantage to them.... but well, that specific history aided Porsche with the 917, and Ferrari with the P3/4

They didn't ban the car, per se; but banned its engine size, and created a new set of rules that specifically hurt Ford's effort.

that really didn't matter, however, as by 69, Ford had withdrawn its factory support some time back; and it was then that the Gulf team won as a privateer; with the smaller engine (not the 7.0 DOHC unit that won/dominated the previous year)

anyway.... there is so much history about it, i highly recomend going to the local automotive hobby store and buying a book about it ;)

Perfect answer.biggthumpup.gif