Enzo-style doors on FGT

blackwood

What does this have to do with this forum?
Huh? Did you not notice that this is the "Other Cars" section?

I agree with MHaynes772... this is what they should have done in the first place. They demonstrated on Top Gear the difficulty of getting in one in a tight space. This might alleviate that problem.

I'm not sure as to how this would alleviate the problem of tight spaces either. seeing as you would have to open and let it swing out . If Worst comes to worst you will have to crawl up into the car, seeing as the doors may not be able to extend fully. Which I don't see as being better than having the doors open like a GT40 and have to slide in under the overhanging roof.

I have had no experience with Ford GT doors or Enzo doors. This is just my interpretation of the designs.

Anyone have an approximation of how far the doors extend outward?

Anyone have an approximation of how far the doors extend outward?

I've ridden in a GT and while I can't recall opening the door to it's full stop, I do recall it swung out to a damn near 90 degree angle before closing it. It's not absolutely necessary to open the door that far but it does facilitate getting in and out with the least hassle. From my experience the door modification in this thread would be way, WAY less hassle than the cumbersome factory design.

Weird. Since Von Genaddi Designs is about 3.5-4 hours from me, does anyone else here think I should make the drive and get a tour of their facility and get some pictures?

ummmmmmmm...

DUH? lol, jk

Definatly go, ive seen pics of the shop, it isnt big but it looks interesting.

Haha, that was more of a rhetorical question :axe: Ive seen picture from their shop as well, and Im really curious as to what they have hiding in there... :D When I get the time to go, Im going to call them and find out if its possible to take a walkthrough.

Thanks Kovachian, I was more asking about the Enzo though. Anyone have a comparison? I just can't see this being more practical, Lamborghini style doors maybe, but these seem even more complex than the originals. I think the doors were altogether better in concept than in followthrough. I love the originals, some of my favorite cars, they just didn't need to bring the doors back the way they did, though I don't think standard or any other type of door would really fit the lines as well, especially with enthusiasts who want them even with the problems. Ah well, I say buy a GT and I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands if it's too much of a hassle. Free of charge at that :)

A really good friend of mine has a Ford GT. He has had numerous problems with people whacking their heads on the doors (as everyone knows common problem). His sister almost went to the hospital when she whacked her shoulder into the top of the door getting out.

The GT doors have 2 problems. One is everyone hitting something on the overhang. The second is that the car is so wide, when you open the doors they hit things since they open out wide.

He took a look at this as a mod. These doors swing out only 13 inches or something like that. So, the swing out is really small. Good for tight garages and parking between cars. And it gets rid of the head/shoulder bonk issue.

However, he's not going to do it. It's the asthetics. He says that the GT is not a Enzo and the doors would make the car look like an Enzo wannabe. So, he'll live with the bruises, bumps and whacks.

Personally, I'd probably go for them (and the GTX mod) if I had a FGT.

The other thing from the same conversation that was really funny is he talked about the "Ford GT crawl". This is for all the FGT owners who have a tight or semi-tight garage space.

To get out, they can't open the door all the way. So, they open it part of the way and then can't stand up to get out.. they have to go sideways and then crawl out the bottom.

When you have to crawl out of your car to get in and out, that shows real car love right there.