R8 V12 TDI cancelled, replaced by 326hp V8 version

Mako

well 326 HP is pretty good....LOL. Incidentally, a diesel car in the US from what I can see makes no sense anyway, at least where I live diesel is about 25% more expensive than premium, so no real point right?

that was stupid. Why do that?

Near zero market demand, non-competitive performance versus price segment competition (4.2 to 60, 187mph top speed), massive expense to mfg, inferior brand status perception at expected price level versus Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston...

The list is long. It's just tough to compete in the $150k+ sector unless you've got the brand name to do it, Audi isn't there yet in North America. Too risky for them.

On the other hand, a cheap $100k R8 TDI with 326hp probably fits their profitability models better, less chance of catastrophic $ loss. Still going to be a tough sell against the M3/997/GTR in that space as it's severely underpowered, but the car's more exotic look and unique fuel type probably gives them enough of an edge to move a few thousand of them per year in the EU alone.

Right now it's too big of a jump for loyal TT owners to step up to the current R8 (or the pending 520hp V10 version), they badly need a more reasonable model to bridge the gap. Maybe this TDI car will fit the bill for that crowd in certain parts of the world where diesel is accepted/commonplace.

well 326 HP is pretty good....LOL. Incidentally, a diesel car in the US from what I can see makes no sense anyway, at least where I live diesel is about 25% more expensive than premium, so no real point right?

Wouldn't the smaller fuel consumption make up for it alone?