Acura NSX 2005

DannyBaker

Looking for previous/current NSX owners or people who have driven the car.

What do you think?

Your thoughts are much appreciated and I will explain why later.

Looking for previous/current NSX owners or people who have driven the car.

What do you think?

Your thoughts are much appreciated and I will explain why later.

The stronger 3.2L car (97+) is almost identical to the last-gen M3 (e46) in overall acceleration, so it's slower compared to all of today's big-HP AMG Benzes, Audi RS/S series, 997 Carreras, current M3/M5, etc.

Over 120mph it runs out of gas, takes daaaaays to hit 150mph+ in the car.

Very reliable, turn the key and it will always start. Clutch, timing belt, brakes, tires are all an owner will ever have to do to it as the years go by.

Suspension is far too soft when pressed hard, and there's a good deal of body roll that diminishes the feel of the car. It's at its adhesion limit far too early when compared to today's coupes. Undertired as well.

When the rear does brake loose it does it in slowwwww motion, meaning it's so progressive that even a novice can catch it without drama. Good mid-engine "trainer" for first time owners of that platform.

Bang it up, even a little, and insurance will total it outright. One body panel is often enough to trigger a salvage as the aluminum requires TIG welds that cost a shitload and are labor intensive. Lot of salvage NSX s out there, some well deserved, but many others were hardly breathed on.

Practical, can carry a good deal of shit. Not as much as a POS, but more than a 355 as an example.

The NSX aged pretty well until 2000 or so, then its lack of power and few improvements did it in. Great DD, but a little boring when playing Speed Racer, that's how I'd sum it up. Hope this doesn't cost you a sale Danny, for the right person there's probably not a better value in that "GT Tourer" class, crusing with the targa top off. But for someone wanting a hardcore sportscar to make the hair on their neck stand up, there are better choices in that price range.

pretty much what he said

the mid engine step out isnt that slow, just slow compared to cars like the CGT or a Lambo biting it.

the body panel/total thing isnt true, ask me how I know :(

early models just saw a 10k increase in values from KBB and new ones are stable and slowly going up in value.

not as slow as Mako makes it seem, if you run the RPMs up and keep them up you'll have no trouble of the backroads keeping up, and because its a Honda, you can run it all day over 6k RPMs and not think a thing about it.

Mines in for maintance (all fluids, allignment, etc) and 60k service (belt and water pump) and 90k valve adjustment (due to age, not miles, only 23k) and everything is ONLY costing me $2400

I couldnt even get tires for the Diablo for $2400 :(

just keep all this wonderful stuff in mind down the line when I trade up :D

if I could afford it, Ild have your yellow CGT 2 days ago :)

I owned a 99 NSX for four years. My comments are free from the obligatory "I must stick up for this persecuted world beater and show the world they just don't understand its greatness!" bias that every owner of this car seems to have (not describing you Actung :icon_thumleft:).

-If a 2002 M3 is fast to you, then the NSX will be fast to you. And if a 2002 M3 is dog-ass-slow to you, then the NSX 3.2L will be dog-ass-slow to you.

-If you damage it, they will total it. Better than 50/50 chance on that fact, any level of damage. Dozens of testimonials on NSX Prime about this unfortunately, it just doesn't take much and the more time that passes the more quick the salvage due to the cost/depreciation/value ratio. YMMV.

-On backroads, or any roads, modern cars will leave it for dead if the drivers are pushing it and the cars are stock. The NSX runs out of grip far earlier than most newer entries, including econo-boxes like the STi/EVO/S2000 crowd, again due to the compromise the US brass forced on Honda in softening the suspension mid-way through its life plus the 245-size 17" rear tires.

-You're pushing 3,150lbs of weight with a Mercedes C-Class-like 224/ftlbs. of torque, :lol2:, there's only so much the best engineering available at that time could do to overcome this simple fact.

All that being said there are some PROs...

-With just $4-6k in mods to the suspension/air-flow/wheels/tires, it jumps up several notches. I had mine that way for most of its life and it was fun, but still showing its age in 04 and beyond in terms of straight-line acceleration and thrills.

-The transmission/clutch are flawless, best feel I've ever experienced in a sports car. It's so precise yet so smooth, very impressive even today. Gear ratios on the 6-speed are perfectly spaced as well.

-VTEC livens things up a bit as Actung mentioned, not nearly as strong as the turbo boost kicking in on say a 996 Turbo, but still enough to get moving.

-The Targa roof allows a near-convertible experience without the drawbacks of a true drop top, a fact that is often overlooked when evaluating this car for purchase. It's light enough for one person to take it off and it takes up no trunk space when stored.

Summary: It's a great car for a very particular type of buyer. Someone who wants some luxury, likes the reliability, isn't out to set low lap times, and doesn't mind when a 5-year-old Plastic mess-06 just destroys him at a light...

I owned a 99 NSX for four years. My comments are free from the obligatory "I must stick up for this persecuted world beater and show the world they just don't understand its greatness!" bias that every owner of this car seems to have (not describing you Actung :icon_thumleft:).

-If a 2002 M3 is fast to you, then the NSX will be fast to you. And if a 2002 M3 is dog-ass-slow to you, then the NSX 3.2L will be dog-ass-slow to you.

-If you damage it, they will total it. Better than 50/50 chance on that fact, any level of damage. Dozens of testimonials on NSX Prime about this unfortunately, it just doesn't take much and the more time that passes the more quick the salvage due to the cost/depreciation/value ratio. YMMV.

-On backroads, or any roads, modern cars will leave it for dead if the drivers are pushing it and the cars are stock. The NSX runs out of grip far earlier than most newer entries, including econo-boxes like the STi/EVO/S2000 crowd, again due to the compromise the US brass forced on Honda in softening the suspension mid-way through its life plus the 245-size 17" rear tires.

-You're pushing 3,150lbs of weight with a Mercedes C-Class-like 224/ftlbs. of torque, :lol2:, there's only so much the best engineering available at that time could do to overcome this simple fact.

All that being said there are some PROs...

-With just $4-6k in mods to the suspension/air-flow/wheels/tires, it jumps up several notches. I had mine that way for most of its life and it was fun, but still showing its age in 04 and beyond in terms of straight-line acceleration and thrills.

-The transmission/clutch are flawless, best feel I've ever experienced in a sports car. It's so precise yet so smooth, very impressive even today. Gear ratios on the 6-speed are perfectly spaced as well.

-VTEC livens things up a bit as Actung mentioned, not nearly as strong as the turbo boost kicking in on say a 996 Turbo, but still enough to get moving.

-The Targa roof allows a near-convertible experience without the drawbacks of a true drop top, a fact that is often overlooked when evaluating this car for purchase. It's light enough for one person to take it off and it takes up no trunk space when stored.

Summary: It's a great car for a very particular type of buyer. Someone who wants some luxury, likes the reliability, isn't out to set low lap times, and doesn't mind when a 5-year-old Plastic mess-06 just destroys him at a light...

Just bought a Yellow/Yellow 05 for myself for the summer and I have never even driven one!

I miss my NSX and will probably buy another down the road for an addition, light, nimble and the ergonomics are way above my G...Im not a fan of the yellow yellow, (I saw the one for sale perhaps you purchased) but am of the yellow black! I would buy the Imola Orange though, just to be different..

With a SC they do all right for their weight, and the TT setups seem to do well also...

Just bought a Yellow/Yellow 05 for myself for the summer and I have never even driven one!

not a fan of the yellow interior, but congrats!!

you'll love how it never breaks and goes fast with little effort

and if you have driving skils you can make it go real fast :D

you still should have bought mine though :P

I knew you were gonna buy one! hehe. Congrats man! :)

Post some pics and maybe give me a ride when I pay another visit to Lambo Chi.

not a fan of the yellow interior, but congrats!!

you'll love how it never breaks and goes fast with little effort

and if you have driving skils you can make it go real fast :D

you still should have bought mine though :P

I can't stand it either....but I got a good deal.

I almost called you! I just really wanted an 05. We'll see how it goes. I probably will only have it for a month or two.

I will post pics when it is here next week. I will let you drive it if you want.

Cool. :D

Where did you get the car from? And is the car that you can buy, and in case you don't like it or change your mind, you can sell it after a few months and still break even? Is that how good NSX's hold their value?

I miss my NSX and will probably buy another down the road for an addition, light, nimble and the ergonomics are way above my G...Im not a fan of the yellow yellow, (I saw the one for sale perhaps you purchased) but am of the yellow black! I would buy the Imola Orange though, just to be different..

With a SC they do all right for their weight, and the TT setups seem to do well also...

I did well buying mine. I can re-cover the seats in Black and still save $. I have owned a bunch of cool cars and for the $ I think an NSX will be fun for a while. We shall see. :)

Cool. :D

Where did you get the car from? And is the car that you can buy, and in case you don't like it or change your mind, you can sell it after a few months and still break even? Is that how good NSX's hold their value?

Car is coming from west coast. I primarily bought it to drive with the idea of making a few bucks. I have my own dealer's license in addition to the store. My boss is supportive of the deal so I may put it on consignment here. It will be fully serviced and documented. Books, keys, tools, window sticker etc.

I did well buying mine. I can re-cover the seats in Black and still save $. I have owned a bunch of cool cars and for the $ I think an NSX will be fun for a while. We shall see. :)

check out NSXPrime.com :)

btw, an overwelming amount of owners that sell their cars go on to say how much they regret doing so, even when they move up.

I think from C&D?? maybe, the NSX has the highest rating of satisfaction of any car theyve EVER tested from owners and the highest percentage that said if would ever buy the same car again if given the choice with something like 94% saying they would :)

Nice Danny, let the board know what you think.

The later cars are more rare, an 05 may take a long time to sell but when it does you'll get the price you targetted...or more. There's a wierd 'appreciation' factor kicking in on the 02+ models for whatever reason, owners are driving a hard bargain since it went out of production. Certain color combos only had total runs in the 50-100 unit range over that span of years, which creates demand by the diehards.

This is the one I was considering, be careful, they only made 5 05 yellow yellow and if you recover the seats it may take away value..http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=234878510

Mako's evaluation is spot on, except for the clutch. It is great for everyday driving, but don't try power launches or peeling out at a light! I smoked the clutch at the 500 mile marker on my 03!! If you like that kind of action, get a stronger aftermarket racing clutch.

Mako's evaluation is spot on, except for the clutch. It is great for everyday driving, but don't try power launches or peeling out at a light! I smoked the clutch at the 500 mile marker on my 03!! If you like that kind of action, get a stronger aftermarket racing clutch.

I appreciate everyone's comments. I HATE the yellow leather. I appreciate the comment about there being only 5 yellow/yellow 05s. If that is true then I will leave it alone. I think it would be cool to TT one and really trick it out. But I will probably just keep this one for a few months and sell it.

I am pretty excited and I will post pictures when it gets here.

did you buy it from the Acura dealership in Vegas? they had a yellow/yellow 05 with aftermarket black wheels

cool car- and you can always get new seats and carpet

No private party. I don't think this car was marketed very well. I only found it one place.

It was a funny story. I was chasing a few yellow GT3s and I kept getting frustrated. I think those cars are selling for too much money and as much as I like modded cars, when buying one for myself....I want it stock and then I will mod it myself.

So sunday I was messing around on the internet. I was looking at NSX's on eBay. I was like, "hmmmm looks pretty cool, Maybe I'll get one"

I spent the rest of the day calling ads and talking to owners. I researched the hell out of the market and by 9:00 pm I had the deal locked up. Sent the check monday and now I am working on a truck to pick it up. Should have it here monday/tuesday.

check out NSXPrime.com :)

btw, an overwelming amount of owners that sell their cars go on to say how much they regret doing so, even when they move up.

I think from C&D?? maybe, the NSX has the highest rating of satisfaction of any car theyve EVER tested from owners and the highest percentage that said if would ever buy the same car again if given the choice with something like 94% saying they would :)

To me this says a lot about the car. It seems like the ONLY mid engine car that you can buy reasonably. If it had 400hp I am sure I would like it much more. I am just looking for a fun summer car to drive with the top off. Not trying to win any races....I get to drive Lambos all the time you know! :)

Mako summed up the car perfectly (I have owned three of them). Only thing I might add is that you won't lose a lot of money if you buy the right one at the right price. In fact, last one I bought I made a nice profit on.