Countach Fuel Pump Relays....

88 1/2 QV

Hi Guys,

I am in Australia and recently purchased a QV5000 FI from Texas.

Suddenly the fuel pumps are not working.

I need some help to diagnose the problem.

This car has had all emissions removed, Air Pump, Cannisters, Cats.

Also the Bosch Injection system ECU plugs are in the rear RHS trunk, but no ECU's.

How the hell does the injection system work?

There is an MSD Box installed.

Can anyone advise me how these boxes should be wired specifically for a QV5000FI? I think the wiring has been done incorrectly and there are some wires simply twisted together resulting in bad connections.

The fuel pumps momentarily came to life when i jiggled some wiring near the coil.

I have gone through all the wiring and checked for poor connections, bad earths etc.

Next is to check the fuel pumps.

Where are the pumps?

How do i get to the pumps?

I do not have a lift at home to raise the car.

Below is a picture with some specific information.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW the my fuse box also had the same black broken wire as the previous post. Any ideas where it goes? I simply connected it to another black earth wire in the fuse box. It will possibly serve no purpose connecting it to the chassis of the rear fuse box, because this fuse box is isolated from the vehicle's ground as it is mounted to a fibreglass panel.

pics posted on my website

Regards

Dean

countach_fuel_pump_problem.jpg

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help.

Finally beginning to understand how this electrical system works.

Something my 7 year old son would design!

BTW i am an electronics engineer with 25 years experience designing security devices for car manufacturers.

Anyhow here are my findings.

Finally got it to work

Maybe it can help someone else in the future.

My car is a USA Spec QV5000 Fuel Injected.

Click here to view the file

fuel_pump_fix.jpg

Just a quick Addition:-

The Fuel Pump Timer relay detects a pulse from the Ignition coil to keep the fuel pumps running.

Each pulse on the Ignition Coil triggers the fuel pump timer relay to run for 0.6 seconds.

Therefore when the Ignition is ON and the engine is NOT running, the Fuel Pump Timer relay will NOT activate the fuel pumps.

When the engine is running, the coil continuously pulses a signal to the fuel pump timer relay, hence keeping it ON and keeping the fuel pumps running.

The pulse has to be at least +50V (So you will not be able to trigger the fuel pump timer relay (pin 31b from the +12V car battery).

• 3 years later...

I have a 86 5000QV fuel injected. I need to replace the timer relay (bmw part) you had discussed on the forum. It got pulled from the car by mechanic and lost. I'm searching for the part number so I can get a new one.

Can anyone help me out? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Stephen Myers

[email protected]

FYI this is my NYCT. couldn't remember my login for bit. lol

I have a 86 5000QV fuel injected. I need to replace the timer relay (bmw part) you had discussed on the forum. It got pulled from the car by mechanic and lost. I'm searching for the part number so I can get a new one.

Can anyone help me out? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Stephen Myers

[email protected]

FYI this is my NYCT. couldn't remember my login for bit. lol

Stephen:

I just replaced mine and bought a spare to have around just in case. The unit is from a German Company (K.A.E.) and part number is: 3.304.100.

Here is someone selling them on ebay for about $30 bucks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-320i-1977-1982...=item564817e464

Mike

IMG_1342.JPG

Stephen:

I just replaced mine and bought a spare to have around just in case. The unit is from a German Company (K.A.E.) and part number is: 3.304.100.

Here is someone selling them on ebay for about $30 bucks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-320i-1977-1982...=item564817e464

Mike

Hi Mike,

thanks for the quick response. Stephen did PM me and i was sitting at my beach house.

It's summer down under in Australia!

Yippeeee Sun Surf Jetski's.....Off taking my 10 Year old down for a surfing lesson now. Cya

Dean

Hi Mike,

thanks for the quick response. Stephen did PM me and i was sitting at my beach house.

It's summer down under in Australia!

Yippeeee Sun Surf Jetski's.....Off taking my 10 Year old down for a surfing lesson now. Cya

Dean

Dean:

So jealous!!!! Its supposed to snow here for the few days.... Ugh!

Have fun in the Sun!!!

Dean:

So jealous!!!! Its supposed to snow here for the few days.... Ugh!

Have fun in the Sun!!!

Wife and kids bugging me to buy a snow cabin.

But as you already know...things are sooooo much more expensive here in Australia.

Including Countach's...pity you buggers drive on the wrong side of the road!

Wife and kids bugging me to buy a snow cabin.

But as you already know...things are sooooo much more expensive here in Australia.

Including Countach's...pity you buggers drive on the wrong side of the road!

Great place Melbourne Australia.

90 minutes to great surf beaches

3 hours to good snow fields

6 hours to great snow fields

And some of the worlds best restaurants are in our city.

Apparently Melbourne has more restaurants and cafe's per square mile than any other city. Hence they must be good in order to survive.

Also we are a great cultural centre with almost every race and religion mixed harmoneously in this great town.

You Yankees should come down and pay us a visit.

And by the way our economy is still booming.

With the lack of repair info on these cars, this thread is priceless.

Very true! I just pulled the box out of the trunk of my car over the weekend and am in the process of rebuilding it. Will have "before/after" shots with a write-up in about a week.

Mike

I pulled mine out to check it out and it looks fine.... those relays do get hot though. The ones for the fans anyway.

I pulled mine out to check it out and it looks fine.... those relays do get hot though. The ones for the fans anyway.

Ken,

What year is your QV? I'm not sure at what point Lamborghini switched from the plastic box in the rear truck to the metal units... Raymond's '86 car #12997 and my '86 (5 serial numbers later) #12002 used the plastic box. Here is a shot of what mine looked like after I pulled it out.

I have one of those Laser Temperature Guns. A couple of times in the past (prior to rewiring some of the relays back there), I would get readings of over 150 degree's on the relays during the summertime when all 4 of my radiator fans would be running. No wonder the box is so warped, and with a plastic lid screwed down on top of it too, the heat really had nowhere to go!

IMG_1475.JPG

Hi,

Mine is an 88... #12210. The chassis and brackets are metal. I actually have mine out because i'm going to media blast and re-finish it. I replaced all of the relays. They all worked but i was already in there and figured they were probably original/old. I can't remember where i got them though because it was from several different places.

P1011172.JPG

P1011409.JPG

P1011661.JPG

• 1 month later...

I have an 87 FI QV. I am replacing the relays in the right hand side box. From left to right I have the BMW fuel pump timer, then 2 fuel pump relays (fuses on top of the relays) then two relays with one pin each bent up out of the way. Does anyone have an explaination for this? Also do the fused fuel pump relays need to be retained (can I just put a standard relay with the same switching scenario in its place) Thanks in advance for any input.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone?? Those relays cant switch because the coil lead on the relay is bent up. The way it is power is just going strait thru it. Car runs fine, I wanted to replace all the relays and I dont know why these are like this. Just tring to save some diagnostic time. Thanks in advance.

i think raymond was discussing this with someone on LamboTalk... did u look there? they had a whole relay replacement discussion.

Thanks for lead Ken. Unfortunately they are talking about the box on the left side of the car. :( The relay I am asking about is in the box on the right side. Thanks for your efforts!!