Replaced the Battery recently

azlambo

Well, the stock Italian Framm battery finally bit the dust. For those of you getting ready to replace your battery, I replaced mine with a Group 65 battery from AutoZone, their

"gold label" (most power). Fits great with the stock hold down clamp. There is a secret in getting the rubber molding on the "trunk tub" back in easily.......don't screw down the tub until you get the molding put back in. Also, don't forget to undo and redo the trunk light bulb!

Well, the stock Italian Framm battery finally bit the dust. For those of you getting ready to replace your battery, I replaced mine with a Group 65 battery from AutoZone, their

"gold label" (most power). Fits great with the stock hold down clamp. There is a secret in getting the rubber molding on the "trunk tub" back in easily.......don't screw down the tub until you get the molding put back in. Also, don't forget to undo and redo the trunk light bulb!

If you keep your cars hooked up to a Battery Tender, I've found that most batteries can last at least six years with no problems (and, without the hassles of installing a new battery, which is a PITA).

Sounds like good tips; is finding the various screws/bolts to remove the tub to gain access to the battery difficult? I have a feeling my battery isn't going to last much longer based on how fast it seems to drain if I don't drive the car.

If you keep your cars hooked up to a Battery Tender, I've found that most batteries can last at least six years with no problems (and, without the hassles of installing a new battery, which is a PITA).

:iamwithstupid:

In AZ, getting 6 years out of a battery is impossible! Anyway, I DID have a battery tender hooked up to the stock Framm battery. One of the problems with the stock Framm battery is that each set of 3 cells has a "vent tube" hooked up to it, which go down to the bottom of the car. (You can see the ends of these vent tubes if you look under your car). Anyway, the vent tubes caused my battery cells to dry up rather quickly. About a year ago, I refilled the cells with distilled water, and got another year out of the Framm battery. When I replaced the battery with the Group 65 Autozone battery, I yanked the vent tubes out of the car.

As far as removing the "trunk tub", there are just 4 screws to undo, 2 on either end of the tub. Again, don't forget to disconnect and reconnect the trunk light.

Azlambo,

Thanks for the advice. My battery was getting a tad run down where I had to have it on the trickle charger every second week. I was going to get the battery replaced during winter storage but saw your note. I have also been wanting to take ccare of some noises in the front so I decided why the heck why not do both at the same time.

You are right this battery is a perfect fit although no breathers. I can live with this till I get my hands on a Framm.

The following is what I did while I had the tub out.

http://www.lamboweb.com/Repairs_Section/Ga...ttle_Noises.htm

Got rid of the knife and fork in drawer disease. (Mostly).

Deon.

P.S. It took me longer to clean that area. It seems a lot of dust gets sucked in there due to the open slots to the ground. Have cleaning materials handy if you are going to do this yourself. If you have back problems do not do this yourself. It will kill you.

I've got the "knife and fork" in the drawer disease also. I didn't do the plastic tie thing on all the hoses, etc. as described on Lambo Web, since I didn't think that that was the source of the noise....but maybe it is! I'll have to try it next time I have the "tub" out.

Did it take care of the problem? I am guessing it is the bushing thing.

Maybe your battery dries up fast through the vent tubes due to the local temperatures where you live. I assume it can be pretty sweltering there, at times? :tumbleweed:

Yeah, it was 107 today!

I've got the "knife and fork" in the drawer disease also. I didn't do the plastic tie thing on all the hoses, etc. as described on Lambo Web, since I didn't think that that was the source of the noise....but maybe it is! I'll have to try it next time I have the "tub" out.

Did it take care of the problem? I am guessing it is the bushing thing.

I had the bushings replaced two years ago with some improvement. Now that I have tied some hoses and did some rubber wedges as well. (The bottom cover with the slits is very noisy plus a big alu tube also touched it). Took it for a run today. Huge improvement to the extent that I can now hear a noise coming from the closing mechanism of the small compartment to the left of the steering wheel. I am going to dis-assemble that sucker this weekend and re-engineer it.

• 11 months later...

I replaced mine with a Interstate MTP-93. Don't forget a vent kit and to properly attach it!!!!! Battery goes in backwards as they don't offer reverse terminals, but Interstate makes a solid battery, fits fine, and has more juice than the OEM.

Here is some battery 101 for you. I may not know much about the G, but I know batteries.

First of all, it is not a Fraam battery. Fram makes oil filters... It is a FAAM battery, and it is a huge heavy beast with not much power or stamina.

Second, when you replace the battery, stick in a red-top Optima. No junky Interstate. They leak like hell, and not out of the vent tube. They leak from the cell covers. One of the worst batteries out there. So do any free-acid batteries. Optima and other spiral-wound batteries have no free acid, and thus can not leak acid. That is great for the track, where you are not sloshing acid around.

The battery in the G is so hard to get to (you remove the trunk to get access), and replacing the moulding is a real chore, and often replaced incorrectly. That means you will not be checking it often. That means corrosion will eat your terminals, undetected. These are hard-wired into the wiring harness, and thus difficult to replace when eaten by free acid.

Do yourself a favor. Get the Optima or equivalent. Group 34/78 fits with a bit of clamp-down modification. You have to use the hold-down adapters that come with the kit, or the rear hold-down on the frame will pierce the battery. Offsetting it forward with the adaptors avoids this. Heed this caution.

Costco, Walmart, and other places sell them. I think they have 7 or 8 year guarantee.

• 3 weeks later...

do i have to take out the battery if im recharging the battery. I heard that it might be dangerous because of gas comming out of the battery?

do i have to take out the battery if im recharging the battery. I heard that it might be dangerous because of gas comming out of the battery?

Actually, since the cigarette lighter is "always hot" in the Gallardo, (even without the ignition on), you can hook up your battery tender to the cigarette lighter socket, which is what I do. Or, you can remove the little battery access cover

inside the trunk tub, and hook up your battery tender connector directly to the battery, and have the wire

come out of the edge of this cover, into your trunk for connecting the battery tender up to.

Actually, since the cigarette lighter is "always hot" in the Gallardo, (even without the ignition on), you can hook up your battery tender to the cigarette lighter socket, which is what I do. Or, you can remove the little battery access cover

inside the trunk tub, and hook up your battery tender connector directly to the battery, and have the wire

come out of the edge of this cover, into your trunk for connecting the battery tender up to.

thanks for the info azlambo, so you think the there is enough air comming to the battery so there cannot be any gas explosion as you can read in the internet?

thanks for the info azlambo, so you think the there is enough air comming to the battery so there cannot be any gas explosion as you can read in the internet?

I don't think you would get any explosion! A battery tender will not over-charge your battery, since it shuts itself off when the battery is fully charged and then periodically kicks back on to check the battery charge. Also, you are not

creating any possible "sparks" with a battery tender - just hook up the battery tender to your battery before you plug it into the wall outlet.

Here is some battery 101 for you. I may not know much about the G, but I know batteries.

First of all, it is not a Fraam battery. Fram makes oil filters... It is a FAAM battery, and it is a huge heavy beast with not much power or stamina.

Second, when you replace the battery, stick in a red-top Optima. No junky Interstate. They leak like hell, and not out of the vent tube. They leak from the cell covers. One of the worst batteries out there. So do any free-acid batteries. Optima and other spiral-wound batteries have no free acid, and thus can not leak acid. That is great for the track, where you are not sloshing acid around.

The battery in the G is so hard to get to (you remove the trunk to get access), and replacing the moulding is a real chore, and often replaced incorrectly. That means you will not be checking it often. That means corrosion will eat your terminals, undetected. These are hard-wired into the wiring harness, and thus difficult to replace when eaten by free acid.

Do yourself a favor. Get the Optima or equivalent. Group 34/78 fits with a bit of clamp-down modification. You have to use the hold-down adapters that come with the kit, or the rear hold-down on the frame will pierce the battery. Offsetting it forward with the adaptors avoids this. Heed this caution.

Costco, Walmart, and other places sell them. I think they have 7 or 8 year guarantee.

Are the "hold-down adapters" you refer to above included with the Optima battery, or is the "kit" sold separately? I will be getting the Optima soon and want to make sure I have the correct parts. TIA.

which battery tender are you guys using? I need to order one

I've been using battery tenders by deltran for years on my cars and motorcycles... with absolutely no problems.

Are the "hold-down adapters" you refer to above included with the Optima battery, or is the "kit" sold separately? I will be getting the Optima soon and want to make sure I have the correct parts. TIA.

They come with the battery.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they do not. They do if you buy the battery from a

Sometimes they do. Sometimes they do not. They do with the retail version of the battery, like you buy from wal-mart or costco. They often do not if purchased from a wholesaler or battery shop. They should be in the plastic topper that comes with the retail battery.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased the Deltran Super Tender with cig light adapter. The tender works good, but cig light connection is not strong enough to charge the battery. I recieve a flashing red and green light. I recall reading here that since the G has constant power going to cig light when car is off that this should work. It does not.

Hooked directly to the battery with the alligator clips it gets a steady green light, as it should.