Rear view mirror Leaking

dtxfree

I know this is a boring topic :) but I thought it might help someone with the same problem;

While driving down the road I felt something dripping on my hand was shifting. I thought the roof was leaking but the liquid was actually some sort of clear oil. After further investigation I noticed my auto-dimming rear view mirror was cloudy and the liquid was coming from the mirror itself. I checked with lambo parts and the mirror needed to be ordered so on a whim I stopped by the Audi store on my way home and took in my mirror in to the parts dept. They knew instantly which mirror I needed a 2004 A4 I believe. They said that they have lots of problems with that mirror bursting in the Texas heat. They were real nice and gave me a shop discount so It only cost me $240 which was considerably cheaper than the lambo price.

My rear view mirror was leaking to and got shady before that. I bought a new one of Eurospares and all ok. it happens more often in hotter climates.

I know this is a boring topic :) but I thought it might help someone with the same problem;

While driving down the road I felt something dripping on my had was shifting. I thought the roof was leaking but the liquid was actually some sort of clear oil. After further investigation I noticed my auto-dimming rear view mirror was cloudy and the liquid was coming from the mirror itself. I checked with lambo parts and the mirror needed to be ordered so on a whim I stopped by the Audi store on my way home and took in my mirror in to the parts dept. They knew instantly which mirror I needed a 2004 A4 I believe. They said that they have lots of problems with that mirror bursting in the Texas heat. They were real nice and gave me a shop discount so It only cost me $240 which was considerably cheaper than the lambo price.

Was this a Gallardo or Murcielago?

Make sure you cleaned thoroughly any areas where the mirror leaked. The fluid in the auto dimming mirrors is a combination of hydrochloric acid and tungsten oxide. It's some very nasty, corrosive stuff and will do damage.

This is interesting, I was wondering why Lambo didn't have a auto-dimming mirror but I guess it is just the Spyders that don't have them. My Spyder has the little manual flipper to dim, maybe not enough room for any additional wiring in the ragtops.

• 1 year later...
No, mine doesn't have one (06 non-spyder)... maybe it was late 06 and up that have them?

i have an 04 and it has it and actually its got a crack so I was gonna be replacing it soon. i looked on Eurospares as someone mentioned but they don't have it anywhere that I could see

• 1 month later...

Rather than worrying about a leaking mirror you could always replace it with a non dimming mirror to save yourself from wondering if/when it will leak again and ruin the center console controls or nav / head unit.

Just a thought. :)

This is interesting, I was wondering why Lambo didn't have a auto-dimming mirror but I guess it is just the Spyders that don't have them. My Spyder has the little manual flipper to dim, maybe not enough room for any additional wiring in the ragtops.

You're better off. The autodim mirrors have a leak problem and if the leak fluid gets onto the dash it will LITERALLY eat it. The same problem happened to bmw m3's that sourced mirrors from the same supplier.