Maintenance Questions...

YellowSnake

I dont have a Gallardo but i have a Diablo and its 24.00 for a filter, and 14 qts of oil from Discount. Id imagine a Gallardo is much the same.

Allan,

So are saying you change your own oil? I've changed my oil before but not on an exotic like a Gallardo or Diablo.

Do you find it difficult to do by yourself?

Where do you order the filter from?

Thanks,

Jason

HI, I just got my first oil change on my Gallardo at 1,500 miles. I wanted to put in Formula 1 Synthetic oil before the REALLY hot weather comes to Las Vegas, average 110 F a day. It took 10.5 quarts of Formula 1 oil & a new filter. I paid $290 US for it.

I remember the days of $19.95 dollar oil changes at Jiffy lube...those days are long gone..lol ;)

Len

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone confirm the meaning of the notches on the oil stick.

There are 3 notches. Mine reads 2/3rds way between 1st and 2nd (1st being closest to bottom).

fcuk!!!

I paid USD 1300 today for regiular maintenance (oil change, spark plugs, all fluids)

DAMN - and I thought Porsche service was a ripoff

Could someone confirm the meaning of the notches on the oil stick.

There are 3 notches. Mine reads 2/3rds way between 1st and 2nd (1st being closest to bottom).

5 to 1 --

You should check with your dealer, because of the oil level "marks" on the Gallardo's dipstick have been revised(due to an error) and you may not be reading the oil level correctly.

Jake

fcuk!!!

I paid USD 1300 today for regiular maintenance (oil change, spark plugs, all fluids)

DAMN - and I thought Porsche service was a ripoff

They saw you coming baby :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LMAO - I will get the exact breakdown when i get back home tomorrow...bear in mind this is the middle east so....most lambo owners here have $$$ coming out hte wazoo.....

The most expensive pat of the bill was USD 500 for a sparkplug change!!!

This was the 2500 kM sevice, which I did not know about and my car has 5000 kM

5 to 1 --

You should check with your dealer, because of the oil level "marks" on the Gallardo's dipstick have been revised(due to an error) and you may not be reading the oil level correctly.

Jake

Thanks, i'll give the service guys a call.

HI, I spoke to Symbolic Lambo in San Diego where the car was bought. They said the first service is at 1,500 miles & oil, filter, Gear oil, DPW Oil Sump, Oil Passage, what ever that means & 2 DPWs should be replaced. They said nothing about spark plugs & fluids, but perhaps Msindi had a different kind of service, depending on his milage.

So, make a long story short, I have to get that gear oil changed & those DPWs, whatever those are, changed. Also, there is no Lambo dealer in town yet..there will me in May, so the oil I put in, Exxon Formula 1 oil has to be changed sooner than later since Lambo asks for Agip oil to go in & I dont want to ruin my Warrenty..lol...pain in the ass :lol:

Len

God that dealerships good (not the place I bought from, you'll know why if you read my other posts about keys/manuals/etc). I was just gonna call them to check if my dip stick had been changed and he called me first (to invite me to an event) :)

Anyway, my dip had been changed. The level was fine (as I'd checked it after a run). And apparently it shouldn't need checking or topping up between services.

The reason they changed the dip sticks was people were over filling their G's with oil, because they checked the level when cold. So they added the upper level notch.

I think i'll still check it from time to time tho :)

And apparently it shouldn't need checking or topping up between services.

This one is news to me. Mine uses oil, and the dealer assures me this is normal. Try going 7500m/12,000km without checking the oil and I'd have real problems!

Other Gallardo owners - what is your experience with oil consumption?

MHH,

I only got to put 270 miles on it, before the onset of winter/bad weather. But, I'll keep you guys apprised.

5 to 1,

My dipstick had 2 holes on it; but I was told to put a "scribe" mark 34mm above the bottom hole (low mark), and that "scribe" is now the "new revised full mark". I'll reconfirm this with the service dept.

Jake :P

Mine is at 2800 miles (so 1300 after service).

The dip has three notches (revised version apparently) and oil level is ~2/3rds way between bottom 2 notches.

I checked the oil after drive (engine was at running temp) and the service department confirmed this was how to do it. And the oil level is normal.

They were quite concerned that I may have put oil in it. And said I shouldn't do without calling them first. And were very explicit that it shouldn't need oil between services.

I do intend to keep checking the level. Makes me feel like i'm doing something :)

From page 156 of my Gallardo owners manual

"It is normal for the engine to use a certain amount of oil. Oil can be used up to one litre for every 1,000km, depending on the driving style and usage conditions. For this reason, the oil level must be checked at regular intervals."

I would show this to your dealer who has given you bad advice.

Mine is at 2800 miles (so 1300 after service).

The dip has three notches (revised version apparently) and oil level is ~2/3rds way between bottom 2 notches.

I checked the oil after drive (engine was at running temp) and the service department confirmed this was how to do it. And the oil level is normal.

They were quite concerned that I may have put oil in it. And said I shouldn't do without calling them first. And were very explicit that it shouldn't need oil between services.

I do intend to keep checking the level. Makes me feel like i'm doing something :)

It is important to keep in mind (with a dry sump system) NOT to overfill the oil. That new revised stick was probably made to remind the owner of that fact. I assume if the level is between the first and second notch = add oil. If between the second and third notch = it's OK to add. If, at or above the third notch = do not add oil.

• 5 years later...