Weeping Hose?

fcris

Can anyone confirm this?

I swear this hose sweats oil.

I think this could be the culprit for that small puddle of oil we see after the car is stored for a while.

This is the hose that supplies pressure to the lifting system. And it runs up the tunnel from back to front. I have cleaned this hose and surrounding area in the past, and it still gets wet with oil. The photo is taken at the drive shaft tube. And quite a few feet from any connecting fitting or other source of oil. It's the black rubber hose above the two metal ones.

Sweating_Power_Steering_Hose.jpg

Can anyone confirm this?

I swear this hose sweats oil.

I think this could be the culprit for that small puddle of oil we see after the car is stored for a while.

This is the hose that supplies pressure to the lifting system. And it runs up the tunnel from back to front. I have cleaned this hose and surrounding area in the past, and it still gets wet with oil. The photo is taken at the drive shaft tube. And quite a few feet from any connecting fitting or other source of oil. It's the black rubber hose above the two metal ones.

post-6098-1238286023_thumb.jpg

Yes that hose is know to leak. Also this hose is a pain to replace if you dont watch what your doing and pay attention to the routing.

Yes that hose is know to leak. Also this hose is a pain to replace if you dont watch what your doing and pay attention to the routing.

Yep, it's a pita. Is the fluid reddish pink? If so, it's the power steering hose. There are two hoses that run power steering fluid through the system- one is a shorter one that is located at the firewall in the front bonnet and the other is the long one that you are pointing out and it wraps around the torque tube all the way through the center of the car. I got under my car once when the smaller of the two went out on mine and I can't remember if the hose in the pic you posted is the other one that's longer. They can weep, which means you will need to replace them in the not-so-distant future but if yours is forming a puddle below your car you need to get fixed asap. I think the long tube is about $700 from the factory. The shorter of the two went out on me and fluid leaked everywhere. Had to have car towed in. Fortunately, I was able to find the short one at NAPA for $5.

Yes the hose that you see seeping is the liffting system supply hose from the liffting block in the back & runs foward to the frt. We have had to repl. alot of thes hoses for the same thing. The hose is about 700.00 + labor.

Yes the hose that you see seeping is the liffting system supply hose from the liffting block in the back & runs foward to the frt. We have had to repl. alot of thes hoses for the same thing. The hose is about 700.00 + labor.

Thanks Jeff,

So now that that's confirmed, I guess my suspicion that the power steering hose that runs across the removable cross member at the engine also weeps.

I'd like to look into an alternative like stainless steel braid teflon. Does anyone know the high pressure in the lift system? I think I read somewhere that it was about 1800 PSI.

Frank

Thanks Jeff,

So now that that's confirmed, I guess my suspicion that the power steering hose that runs across the removable cross member at the engine also weeps.

I'd like to look into an alternative like stainless steel braid teflon. Does anyone know the high pressure in the lift system? I think I read somewhere that it was about 1800 PSI.

Frank

Sounds about right I think 40 bar is what the systems operates at. There are companies that will make this replacement hose. You will need to give the the old hose so that they can copy the fittings as well as the length. This option is much better and cheeper to do regarding price for the part.

• 8 months later...

I finally got around to changing this hose.

It wasn't too bad to do. Just a little bit of a struggle to reroute the new hose.

For fear that the new Lambo hose would also weep, I decided to build it myself using a good quality hose. I cut the banjo ends off the stock fittings and welded them to the new fittings. These new hose fittings are called "reusable" because they don't get crimped on. I wouldn't recommend this welding process unless you had a way to test the hose before you go through all the trouble to install it. I did talk to a local hydraulic shop that could get me, and install the new ends on my hose, but I decided to do it myself.

Also, the hose I used has an ID of 1/4" (.250), and the stock hose, 5/16" (.312). Same OD, but the new hose has a thicker wall. I don't notice that it lifts any slower.

Oh, and I forgot to mention... it had been 4 weeks since I drove the car, and there was still high pressure in this hose when I cracked the fitting loose! No wonder the hose weeped.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

2 Each 52305K41 Screw-on Hydraulic Hose Fitting 30 Series, Hose End 1/4" ID X Male Pipe 1/4" NPTF $8.58 ea

20 Ft. 8646T11 SAE Rubber Hydraulic Hose 1/4" ID, .59" OD, 5800 PSI, SAE100R2-At, Black in the morning $2.64 per ft

Lift_Hose_Change__1_.jpg

Lift_Hose_Change.jpg