Billet Gallardo HIGH MPH Gears 247+ mph

I have received a lot of questions about the gears we had custom made for the Underground Racing Nera TT-R. They are not for sale at this point until further testing has been completed.

One of the ONLY things I didn't like about the Gallardo was the gearing. While driving the first Gallardo "KYLE's" before we did the TT upgrade I did not like how it was geared. It seems like in 6th gear riding at 60-70 that the Gallardo was working to hard "to much RPM's" I found myself a few times reaching for another gear for a overdrive but caught myself already being in 6th gear. :eusa_naughty: I knew at that point we would need to find a way to re gear the Gallardo at some point. :eusa_think: I can tell you with the new gears that it is"Perfect" now! :icon_mrgreen:

Another thing that sucked was having to shift into 5th gear while racing it in the 1/4 mile. With the stock gears I was around 8100 in 5th crossing the line to go 161. With the new set up I will be able to finish the 1/4 mile in 4th gear @ 165-170 and no more shifting to 5th and blasting though the gears.... :icon_pidu: Now we are keeping it in the power range a lot longer with the extended gears!

We have made many upgrades in the Gallardo transmission to hold the power that we are now making.. 1300 AW + We will try and get to the runway event and get some high speed testing completed. After that we have 2 PINKS and one Pass Times show to do. After that point they will be good and tested and we will do a tear down and inspect the new transmission set up.

I will keep all updated.

Here are a few of the transmission gears. All billet and heat treated.

Merci_005.JPG

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, good stuff. Will be interesting to see where the 1000hp+ cars top out, along with exposing any weaknesses in the hardware.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. Having viper gearing in the G will be f-in epic.

Though i think you guys should bump the rev limiter so it will run 251 :D

What rev limiter?? :icon_mrgreen: We have turned that one 9,000 RPMS

Then 260! :tyson:

Hopefully the OD gears hold up better than the viper units, i'm sure you know how they don't really like all that torque.

My balls ARENT big enough to go 250mph.... Is there even a tire that is rated to that speed?

If you really want to do it safely you run the ALMS slicks.

What's the difference between 200 and 250 when it comes to balls? Wrap the car up at either speed and it's a total yardsale.

I wouldn't attempt a 250 run in a car that had been beat on for thousands of miles, but give it a thorough once over, torque everything, and all should be well.

SW tossed a rod on his supra at something over 230, oiled it down good and didn't have any issues other than needing to dry-clean his driving suit.

Having a car with a chute is probably a good idea.

My balls ARENT big enough to go 250mph.... Is there even a tire that is rated to that speed?

Yes. And No.

The tire rating system is based on what a tire can handle for SUSTAINED periods of time. Sustained being the key word.

A ZR Rated tire (rated at 186+) means that it can handle that speed for sustained periods of time.

In a standing mile application (i.e., a quick burst of speed and then slowing down), most ZR tires will handle 230+, maybe even higher.

A racing slick will definitely handle the 250MPH because it is for such a short amount of time.

Later this year, I will let you know how everythig holds up.

If you really want to do it safely you run the ALMS slicks.

What's the difference between 200 and 250 when it comes to balls? Wrap the car up at either speed and it's a total yardsale.

I wouldn't attempt a 250 run in a car that had been beat on for thousands of miles, but give it a thorough once over, torque everything, and all should be well.

SW tossed a rod on his supra at something over 230, oiled it down good and didn't have any issues other than needing to dry-clean his driving suit.

Having a car with a chute is probably a good idea.

haha I dont wanna go 200mph either!!! In my old age im more of a 60-150mph kind of guy :icon_mrgreen:

dont run out of runway, its real easy to miss judge howmuch time you need for braking at those speeds, not that ive ever hit them, but ive been i similar situations in drag races.

Yes. And No.

The tire rating system is based on what a tire can handle for SUSTAINED periods of time. Sustained being the key word.

A ZR Rated tire (rated at 186+) means that it can handle that speed for sustained periods of time.

In a standing mile application (i.e., a quick burst of speed and then slowing down), most ZR tires will handle 230+, maybe even higher.

A racing slick will definitely handle the 250MPH because it is for such a short amount of time.

Later this year, I will let you know how everythig holds up.

Correct, in fact Bugatti tells Veyron customers that the special rock-hard tire on that car is good for just 10 to 15 minutes of 250mph running. After that, you are in no man's land... :shock:

What about the aero? You are going to need downforce to keep from flying away. I doubt the stock setup is enough for 250.

Correct, in fact Bugatti tells Veyron customers that the special rock-hard tire on that car is good for just 10 to 15 minutes of 250mph running. After that, you are in no man's land... :shock:

:iamwithstupid:

As I remember Captain Slow saying in classic Top Gear form, "...at top speed, the tyres are only good for 15 minutes. But that's OK! Because you run out of fuel in 12!" :lol2:

What about the aero? You are going to need downforce to keep from flying away. I doubt the stock setup is enough for 250.

You won't have enough for lift, but you are absolutely right about the aero.

kevin you know i repect you and your amazing company,but your making cars to making drag cars, just stick with vipers as youll never get the gallardo to beat those times. what about suspension and practical use besides a quarter mile track. honestly your making these car which are absolute amazing and a work of art but straight traight line drag cars. i personally as a gallardo owner want a great balance of handling , braking and power to be with in sometype of balance. with the ability to tear the ass off most cars that roll up to me on a street eggin on a race, but i want a great balanced car. your incredible for breaking world records but that maybe the goal. with the product and knowledge your company puts out you could well do this, but i asume you got some rich midwesterners that come from a viper which lives for HP. 1500+ street 2wd turbo vipers, whats these guys think, i do insecuirty and just straight ignorance. find drive that baby how it should be driven with 1500 hp and you end up in a tree or doing circles on the freeway. the nera R is very impressive its goona be a great car for the airfield run. it should no doubt take it the record with out a close second in the G.

kevin you know i repect you and your amazing company,but your making cars to making drag cars, just stick with vipers as youll never get the gallardo to beat those times. what about suspension and practical use besides a quarter mile track. honestly your making these car which are absolute amazing and a work of art but straight traight line drag cars. i personally as a gallardo owner want a great balance of handling , braking and power to be with in sometype of balance. with the ability to tear the ass off most cars that roll up to me on a street eggin on a race, but i want a great balanced car. your incredible for breaking world records but that maybe the goal. with the product and knowledge your company puts out you could well do this, but i asume you got some rich midwesterners that come from a viper which lives for HP. 1500+ street 2wd turbo vipers, whats these guys think, i do insecuirty and just straight ignorance. find drive that baby how it should be driven with 1500 hp and you end up in a tree or doing circles on the freeway. the nera R is very impressive its goona be a great car for the airfield run. it should no doubt take it the record with out a close second in the G.

Totally agree! good post Monarchy, I too am more interested in the truly balanced machine that has as much thought, performance and testing into the handling, brakes and suspension than strapping down a jet engine in a stocker.

Anyone can build a 9sec drag car, but who can build a 9sec car that handles tracks and canyons like its on rails and walks away from the competition?

What's wrong with higher gears? You went from 500HP N/A to 1200-1800HP TT, of course the STOCK gears aren't going to be suited for a TT 1200-1800HP engine. They are just making the "balance" BETTER. With the new gears they can make other gears in the future that are suited for everything from track racing to highway racing to drag racing, depending on what the end user wants. Not only that but these gears should be stronger and more reliable.

I got a ride in TT #1 and I thought THAT ran out of gears quick, then add over 2x the power that todays Gs are running, and you absolutely NEED higher gearing.

Btw, AMAZING stuff you guys are brining to the TT G/M market.

Guest jbsteven1

they also state that you will run out of gas before the tires go into no man's land. I believe the car has enough gas for 12-14 minutes of full throttle.

while i agree, i think that's the owners responsibility, not UR's. it's THEIR responsibility to push the limit and make the sickest/fastest gallardo they can make. pushing boundaries is like research, it benefits all...mostly buyers of their "only 800 hp" kits (which will likely be the majority).

besides, there's nothing wrong with massive overkill!

while i agree, i think that's the owners responsibility, not UR's. it's THEIR responsibility to push the limit and make the sickest/fastest gallardo they can make. pushing boundaries is like research, it benefits all...mostly buyers of their "only 800 hp" kits (which will likely be the majority).

besides, there's nothing wrong with massive overkill!

:iamwithstupid:

Here's the way we look at it. We push all vehicle platforms to their absolute limits to find out where those limits are. We then develop and engineer components that augment the stock vehicle platform. The enhancements improve the durability and performance of the car an ALL power levels. You can view it as the Underground Racing Advanced Performance Vehicle Program. We have some elite customers who are asking us to do this.

1500 rwhp is not for everyone to be sure, but I can tell you that we can dead hook 1200 rwhp in a Gallardo on street tires from a 50 mph roll. Drop by the meet this weekend in Miami and I will be glad to demonstrate this to you. We build and sell a full range of TT power levels to suit each customer's desired performance. Don't perceive that we are just all about records and straight line performance. We are all about exploring the limits and enhancing all aspects of each vehicle platform to exceed each customer's expectations. Many of our builds are unique to a particular customer. We feel this flexibility has the greatest probability of putting customer's in the vehicle configuration that best meets their driving styles and performance requirements.

I have listed some of the advanced upgrades accomplished by only Underground Racing TT Gallardos at this point.

- Power

The power has been taken care of but we still want more even though we are at 1350 WHP and 900 AW on pump gas.

- Performance

The "standard" version Gallardo has gone a 9.9 in the 1/4 mile on regular street tires and had reached a MPH over 161 in the 1/4 mile. "R" version testing coming very soon.

- Suspension

The suspension has been take care of as we have worked with the Penske race suspension engineers to come up with the Penske suspension for the Gallardo and is the reason we are the exclusive dealer/distributor. IMO Penske suspension is second to none that's why I contacted them to help us on the first project. These sets up are for Road racing, street performance and drag racing. This is the ultimate set up with it corner handling and ESP corner exiting! It is the ultimate suspension upgrade IMO.

- Push button lift.

We are also about to release the push button lift for the early Gallardos that didn't have that option and for the customers with the newer Gallardos that want the Penske race suspension that cant live without the front lift control.

RippersHeffnerTTG016.jpg

- Motec ECU

There are so many things this full stand alone ECU can do its not even funny. Talking about making the best all around car? The traction control options on this unit are unbelievable as we will demonstrate soon. Not only that but to have full control over the TB's, camshafts and ETC. The Throttle response that we have is incredible now that we have control over the throttle bodies and they are so precise!! These are just some of the added bonuses and there are even more options that would take forever to list and explain.

NeraRfinal019.jpg

- Transmission

We have upgraded some important pieces in the Gallardo transmission that we have found necessary at the power levels we are at.

- Gear Ratio change. "as stated before"

One of the ONLY things I didn't like about the Gallardo was the gearing. While driving the first Gallardo "KYLE's" before we did the TT upgrade I did not like how it was geared. It seems like in 6th gear riding at 60-70 that the Gallardo was working to hard "to much RPM's" I found myself a few times reaching for another gear for a overdrive but caught myself already being in 6th gear. I knew at that point we would need to find a way to re gear the Gallardo at some point. I can tell you with the new gears that it is"Perfect" now!

Another thing that sucked was having to shift into 5th gear while racing it in the 1/4 mile. With the stock gears I was around 8100 in 5th crossing the line to go 161. With the new set up I will be able to finish the 1/4 mile in 4th gear @ 165-170 and no more shifting to 5th and blasting though the gears.... Now we are keeping it in the power range a lot longer with the extended gears!

Merci005.jpg

- Brakes

The brakes are taken care of as you know.. Not much improving to be done there. But we do have upgrades

I hope this answers the question of just having a straight line TT Gallardo. Also we are going to be doing some road course racing very soon to learn more. We are building a TT Gallardo for a well known Indy driver and we will be doing some track events and we will get plenty of video for all to see.

As you can tell we are extremely motivated and we are not near finished. Please stay tuned!

Who said these cars aren't balanced and are only good for straight line racing? My Nera TT-R has a full suspension upgrade. The tranny upgrade allows you to have a much better driving experience all around. The only way you can really demonstrate the raw power is in a straight line, you really can't demonstrate >1300whp through a tight canyon road..... You can also end up wrapped around a tree or doing circles on the freeway in a Civic.....which we see almost daily/nightly on the news :(

I agree that a 1300+whp is not for the faint of heart, nor for everyone, but for those of us that crave the raw power, and balanced performance Underground Racing and other tuners are filling that niche quite well.

Remember their name is Underground RACING and not Underground SundayLeisureDriving :)

Who said these cars aren't balanced and are only good for straight line racing?

Me!!

Dude, you are kidding yourself, if you think 1300awhp of "raw power" can be "balanced". Have some fun but exercise caution too.... especially if you take that thing to a road course.