What do you guys think of this

Ascari_2

Can you be more specific on what you mean by "entry level"? Collection? Daily wear? Mechanical Watch? etc...

Although no where as famous & popular as Seiko & Citizen and probably superseded by Casio in the last decade or so; Oriental has always soldier on as a good and reliable Japanese mechanical watch maker (they do make quartz watches but the calibre is still fully mechanical). This maker is always old school. Their styling is always a bit conservative if not old-fashion. As a daily, it's quite reliable although I wonder if servicing may be slightly problematic due to possible lack of authorized agents. Collection or resale-wise, almost no value other than the company itself is a bit of a cult status. Nothing to get excited about really but a trustworthy piece.

A bit odd that the date window is on the left unless you wear it on your right hand.

I'm just looking for something everyday but something a little classy. For some reason I am not a big fan of divers/sports watches, and most other watches like the Longines Master are out of my reach right now. It is a little odd that the date is in the 9 position, but I still think the watch looks simple yet nice. I have been liking Orient more and more as they seem to be a very reliable automatic movements that are relatively cheap. The red faced version was a 500 unit run for the Japanese market. The only place that I can find it right now is going for a little over $500. However, I did find a little bit of an older version with a blue dial and a dark case/band (pictured blow). I think I like the blue faced version more and have been trying to track it down for several days. This once again is a Japan-only market watch and is available there for about $400. I know this isn't what most people here spend on fine timepieces, but I need to pass the BAR and get a job before Rolex.

WZ0321FD_G.jpg

For $400-500 who cares, if you like it buy it... It's not collectible and won't have a resale value, but if you like the styling go for it. It's definitely different and not something you're going to see on every other arm (like a Rolex). They're supposedly pretty reliable, but servicing could be an issue. However something that cheap is pretty much a throwaway watch anyway.

Thanks for the reply Ascari _2. As afore-said, Orient had always made reliable mechanical timepiece. The styling is somewhat conservative but this one has enough "features" to make it more interesting. The only thing that you might frown on is the case and the band. Like most Japanese watches, they look the part but in one's hand, the metal feels cheap, light-weighted and just not comparable to their European counterpart. Other than that and possibly service issues (as said before), it is not bad for a daily wear.

Based on some of the reviews that I read, these are actually solid links and the band is a very comfortable fit. I actually like the conservative look, and the power reserve adds a little change. The main problem now is trying to source one from Japan.

Based on some of the reviews that I read, these are actually solid links and the band is a very comfortable fit. I actually like the conservative look, and the power reserve adds a little change. The main problem now is trying to source one from Japan.

They are solid links just like many others Japanese watches. It just "feels" a bit cheap but it does the job without a glitch and, perhaps in a weird good way, it works and looks the part but without the usual expected weight. The power reserve does take out the monotony.

There is a department store chain in Japan call Parco. They specialize in hip & trendy fashion for the young adults but offer slightly-off-mainstream accessories. They have a fairly impressive watch department featuring all kinds of mainstream and not-so-mainstream watches --- most are not too expensive and "cult" watches of some sort. Quite sure that they carry Orient. Give them a try.