oil change questions

Boner

I was reading the manual, and it says that you need to add the majority of oil from the place you check the oil and then about 3 of the quarts on the oil filler on the cover. If I am just topping it off, does it matter which one I use? Doesnt it end up in the same place?

It also said to use 5w/40 oil. I heard that many people use 10w/40. Is this ok?

I was reading the manual, and it says that you need to add the majority of oil from the place you check the oil and then about 3 of the quarts on the oil filler on the cover.

I have never heard of this and no one I know does it like this.

I have never heard of this and no one I know does it like this.

Good. Because I did not see that until after I added it. But, the manual says 8 in the front and 3 in the rear.

What type of oil do you use?

Yes on early Murci you add three to the engine and the rest into the oil tank which is where the dip stick is.

On later Murci the oil cap on the valve cover went away and you add all to the tank. But you add 6 qt. start it the engine to fill the engine and filter then add the rest. If you are only topping off it wont hurt to go thru the cap on valve cover but best to add to tank. Its not good if doing a oil change to add all oil thru cap in valve cover...

Oil, the most vital fluid in the engine and on the Murci the hardest to check and top up.

Russell :icon_confused:

Yes it is very hard to get it right and if get to much when the oil gets hot it can belch into air cleaner and leak down and start a fire. I have seen more then a few Murci fires from over full oil leavl be carefull. To check get coolent & oil temp up to normal run at 2500 RPM for 2 mins let engine ideal for 3-5 mins then shut off engine and check leavl. If it is above the min then leave it alone if you add just add 1/2 gt. and start all over.