Checking Oil on Superleggera

JohnLP560

I started my car up today, been about 5 days since I last drove it and the check oil light came on.

I drove around for a bit to warm up the engine and did the rev to 2000rpms for 50 seconds to check oil. I read that there are two different dip sticks!?!

I only have 2 holes on mine and the holes are far up the stick. The oil where the stick is touching is not even remotely close to where the holes on the stick are. How much should be fill? I thought my car should have the updated stick since its an 08??

As far as I know, the HOT oil level should be between the 2 holes. Yes, there are other ones with 3 holes, but that should not matter.

Between the 2 holes should be a litre. The oil port and oil level are not linear. The closer you get to the top, the less oil you should add for the same amount of height increase in the oil level. It is conical in shape. If your light is coming on, you are down probably 3+ litres. Ouch! Bad for your car...

Remember, these cars burn about 1 L per 1000km (600 miles). Check it often.

You will need to restart the car after pouring in the first litre, and then do the same with every 1/2 litre or less, thereafter. This because the oil is constantly draining from the reservoir, and the level will not be accurate after the filling delays.

There is no low oil level light. The light you was for low oil presure and the should not be run that low on oil. I see this alot a car comes in and they say the low oil level light came on. No its the low oil presure light not good. To check the oil level needs to be up to temp both oil and coolent run engine at 2000 RPM for one or two min then let it ideal for 2 min shut off engine and check oil level.

Hey Jeff, My oil light still goes on everytime I drive the car and the oil appears full. So is it a oil pressure issue and how do you resolve that? Thanks

I remember that the 2004 cars had a "dipstick" issue and the dealer 'scored' a new mark on the stick to indicate the correct fill level.

Hey Jeff, My oil light still goes on everytime I drive the car and the oil appears full. So is it a oil pressure issue and how do you resolve that? Thanks

Could be a faulty sensor, could be worn bearings, could be beat oil.

You can switch to 20w-50 and see if that helps, what does your oil pressure gauge indicate?

I would change oil asap, and then see what happens. When does the oil light come on? When you stop at a traffic light, or while driving?

Yes I think yours is the sensor. The next step is to install a mechanical gauge and read what the presure is. Your oil is fresh and motor is quit and still running thats why I think it is the sensor. The part that sucks is my custom adp oil line and gauge is still at the dealer and I hate to spend the $ out of my pocket right know as I am still not working. I wish we could get every thing inline and get are new dealer ship opened but it takes time and then more time and more. I think we are getting close. Boy I have said that more then once.

Yes I think yours is the sensor. The next step is to install a mechanical gauge and read what the presure is. Your oil is fresh and motor is quit and still running thats why I think it is the sensor. The part that sucks is my custom adp oil line and gauge is still at the dealer and I hate to spend the $ out of my pocket right know as I am still not working. I wish we could get every thing inline and get are new dealer ship opened but it takes time and then more time and more. I think we are getting close. Boy I have said that more then once.

Hang in there Jeff!! Why not come to Houston to spend a little time? You can work on the SV again..