New owner with a few questions

v6inside

Hi guys,

I've finally took the plunge and bought a 2006 Gallardo manual.

Cant believe how well built and solid the car is compared to my 360 prior to this.

I have a few questions which i hope you guys can answer and put my mind to rest.

1 The car makes a very subtle whine when driving, i think it sounds like transmission whine, its not too loud to be worrying.

Is this normal?

2 The car will shake the first time after starting (hot or cold start) when engaging the clutch. It feels like clutch judder. After the first time its ok, but i need to give it very light throttle to pull away cleanly. No clutch slip at all - car has done 22k miles, not sure if its the first clutch.

Is this normal?

3 Can you remove the factory cats and keep the exhaust stock. I'm thinking of modding the valve later on so that i can start the car up from cold without waking the neighbours!!

Will i gain any power from the test pipes, what does the car drive like after?

4 The rear spoiler malfunction light is on, is there a common fault with these? the spoiler does not rise.

Thanks for any constructive advise,

cheers,

Gary

Didn't you notice any of this stuff when you drove the car before the purchase? Clutch 'shudder' should not occur. Have the dealer check it and adjust. Usually the manual trans needs almost no throttle to get going.

(There is a recent post on the spoiler malfunction [search it])

1,2,and 4 are not normal. Are you talking about straight piping the car or race cats? I have done a few straight pipes in my time and they are not quiet.

The car makes a very subtle whine when driving, i think it sounds like transmission whine, its not too loud to be worrying.

Is this normal?

Is the noise really a whine or more of a whistle. If the car has clean sport air filters the intake will make a whistling sound. If this is it, you should be able to control it with throttle modulation.

Can you remove the factory cats and keep the exhaust stock. I'm thinking of modding the valve later on so that i can start the car up from cold without waking the neighbours! Will i gain any power from the test pipes, what does the car drive like after?

You could and it would make it louder, but most have not seen noticeable gains from test pipes alone. An aftermaket exhaust is worth the investment simply to save the weight. The stock exhaust is an anchor!

Can't help with the shudder or spoiler but not normal. T

Thanks for the replies,

I didnt notice the whine on the test drive as it only becomes apparent after an hour of driving at 70mph. Its very subtle and to be fair the road noise and engine noise is far louder, but i can still hear it.

I will replace the transmission fluid and diff fluid first to see if it makes a difference.

Any recommendations? I have used Motul 300 in my F360 and it made a massive difference to the way it shifted.

The spoiler issue is one i knew about, i will strip down the lid and take it from there.

I will eventually buy some test pipes, but for now i will try the mod on the exhaust valve (its 2006).

When I do add the testpipes will the factory exhaust cope with the pops, bangs and unburnt fuel with the valve closed as per normal operation?

The clutch is juddering on take off only. Its transmitting the judder through the drivetrain.

My car will not take off smoothly without applying light thottle when releasing the clutch. The engine labours if i apply no throttle, could this be causing the judder?

The clutch is juddering on take off only. Its transmitting the judder through the drivetrain.

My car will not take off smoothly without applying light thottle when releasing the clutch. The engine labours if i apply no throttle, could this be causing the judder?

I driven my '06 Gallardo 6-speed for over 3 years and 46,000 miles and have always had the occasional clutch "judder". I'm on my second clutch now (the first one went over 32K) and I still have the "problem". It's a combination of clutch engagement pressure and engine RPM - too much clutch at too little RPM. Once the "judder" starts you can't stop it.

Two ways to keep it from happening - (1) give the engine a little more throttle before letting out the clutch, or (2) let the clutch out enough to just start to get the car rolling before giving it any throttle. The latter is probably the habit to get into.

By the way, I test drove an '06 e-gear before buying my 6-speed and the e-gear car would make the same "judder" if you didn't feed it enough throttle when starting off.

Hi guys,

I've finally took the plunge and bought a 2006 Gallardo manual.

Cant believe how well built and solid the car is compared to my 360 prior to this.

I have a few questions which i hope you guys can answer and put my mind to rest.

1 The car makes a very subtle whine when driving, i think it sounds like transmission whine, its not too loud to be worrying.

Is this normal?

2 The car will shake the first time after starting (hot or cold start) when engaging the clutch. It feels like clutch judder. After the first time its ok, but i need to give it very light throttle to pull away cleanly. No clutch slip at all - car has done 22k miles, not sure if its the first clutch.

Is this normal?

3 Can you remove the factory cats and keep the exhaust stock. I'm thinking of modding the valve later on so that i can start the car up from cold without waking the neighbours!!

Will i gain any power from the test pipes, what does the car drive like after?

4 The rear spoiler malfunction light is on, is there a common fault with these? the spoiler does not rise.

Thanks for any constructive advise,

cheers,

Gary

-My 06 manual (13K miles) makes the usual whistle....more turbine sounding to me - normal.

-You should not have any shuttering from the trans...You will get a shutter like feel from a standing start in first if your wheels are hard over left or right...a normal feeling for an AWD vehicle...when the wheel straightens the feel goes away....

-I disconnect the exhaust valves at the connector and the car makes all the sounds I like - Takes 10 minutes.

-I've had the spoiler light a few times over the years...and it is an actual fault as I can see the spoiler is up when it should not be...In every case the system has reset after I shut her down and restart....

One last comment about the "whine". This can be one of two things (maybe more): drive line gear noise or intake air turbulence.

Drive line gear noise will change as you go from neutral throttle to either slight decel or slight accel. On a level road with just the right amount of throttle (no accel or decel) you can make the gear noise go away momentarily. With the slightest addition of throttle the whine will start as power is transmitted through the gears. Same for a reduction of throttle where the opposite occurs and the drive train starts to drag down the speed of the car. I get a slightly different pitch on accel compared to decel.

Some early '06's (maybe other cars as well) also had an issue with the gaskets between the DBW (drive-by-wire) throttle bodies and the intake air plenums. The gaskets were either the wrong size (possibly taken from the Murci parts bin) or slightly misaligned during assembly so that the gasket partially blocked the air flow through the throttle body during partial throttle. This manifested itself as more of a whistle rather than a whine. While driving with the window open it was clearly coming from the rear of the car (where the air intake is). This can be solved by removing the DBW's and cutting down/repositioning the gasket to fit correctly.