Did you ever wonder what kind of car that was....

SYNYSTR

revving in the background of the Van halen song "Panama"?

Its probably been discussed here before, but if not, enjoy!

Panama (song)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This article needs additional citations for verification.

Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2008)

"Panama"

Single by Van Halen

from the album 1984

Released 1984

Format 7"

Recorded 5150 Studios, Hollywood, California; 1983

Genre Hard rock

Length 3:31

Label Warner Music Group (US)

Producer Ted Templeman

Van Halen singles chronology

"I'll Wait"

(1984) "Panama"

(1984) "Hot for Teacher"

(1984)

Audio sample

file info · help

"Panama" is a song from Van Halen's album 1984. It was the third single released from that record and is one of their most recognized songs.

Contents [hide]

1 Background

2 Music video

3 Cover versions

4 Cultural references

5 Chart positions

6 Notes

7 External links

[edit] Background

The song was written about a car.[1] According to David Lee Roth this was because critics accused him of writing about nothing more than partying, sex, and automobiles but Roth realized that he had yet to write a song about cars.[citation needed] In an interview with Howard Stern, Roth explained the meaning behind the trademark song. Although the song features some suggestive lyrics, it is about a car that Roth saw race in Las Vegas; its name was "Panama", hence the title of the song.

Panama was the name of Dave's Car. Dave had the hood and bumper mounted in his hallway, which the bumper/hood is visible in Dave's video for SHOOBop. Dave has a stuffed deer's behind crashing through the front windshield. A plaque underneath reads, "Your First deer, courtesy of PANAMA."

David Lee Roth was quoted during a VH1/CMT television show showcasing his, "Strummin' With the Devil" album.

DLR : "You heard me talking about my Opel Cadet 1969 station wagon in Dance the Night Away. The nickname for that blue 1969 Opel Cadet station wagon was, "Panama" cuz that was the farthest south that you could possibly go and still have a really corrupt good time. That car now, what I did is I had a friend of mine torch off the front engine lid, and at my house in Pasadena, California we have it bolted to the wall in the front hallway. You have the front engine compartment in the grill and the two front halves of wheels like that, and we mounted the windshield right up on the top of it okay? Like it came crashing through the wall of the hallway. And then what we did, is we went to a place called Ellis Mercantile which is where you rent all of the movie props that they make in Hollywood and all of these environments. There's a section that's very famous at Ellis Mercantile where all of the cowboys and Indians stuff is. So there's a whole stack of stuffed deer at Ellis Mercantile. And I bought one, and we sawed it neatly in half and took just the butt, the tail and the back legs and positioned it like it was coming through the windshield of my Opel Cadet station wagon, and hit it and ran through the wall of my house like that. And we painted the hooves blue, "Blue Suede Hooves." And underneath we have a little plaque that says, "My first deer, courtesy of Panama."

During the bridge of the song where Roth says "I can barely see the road from the heat comin' off of it," guitarist Eddie Van Halen can be heard revving his Lamborghini in the background.[1] The car was backed up to the studio and microphones were attached to the exhaust pipe to record the sound for the song.

• 5 years later...

Blast from the past....

Eddie Van Halen confirms that the exhaust sound he recorded on Panama was of his Lamborghini..... not a Countach but his beloved 1972 Miura S (which he still owns today).

confirmed here at 32.30minute mark during his recent Smithsonian Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXoHyiJUItQ

Hope this ends the 30yrs of speculation ; )