Bodywork Kits

joebiz

I don't want to start a fight or offend anyone but I'm having a hard time understanding these $60,000 bodywork kits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hamann-Vict...=item53dd209b64

How is this $60,000? Are they using some sort of special carbon fiber? It seems like you've got 6 to 8 carbon fiber pieces, tops. What little I know about Carbon Fiber lets me understand that this is mostly a labor expense, not materials. It looks great- neat design and all. If I had the money to buy another Gallardo, I'd just buy another Gallardo... but to each his own. I'm not digging on the kit at all, just want to understand the economics of it.

So, let's say the exhaust system if $5,000. That leaves $55,000 for the Carbon Fiber.

At $50 an hour that's over 1,100 hours of man hour for 8 pieces of carbon fiber.

I'm interested if there is 10X margin in this or if that's just the normal price for this type of stuff.

prepreg carbon fiber, which i'm guessing this is, is very pricey to begin with, excluding labor. A non prepreg dry carbon (i didn't know that existed but oh well) hood for a gtr costs $3,300, thats on the cheaper side of hoods too, the prepreg version cost substantially more then that. Added that this kit is low volume as well they have to charge more per kit to make the money back.

Furthermore you then have to add the because its for a high end car tax.

Now i wouldn't say i'd sped my money on that kit, but i'm sure its much much more expensive then your estimating

I don't want to start a fight or offend anyone but I'm having a hard time understanding these $60,000 bodywork kits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hamann-Vict...=item53dd209b64

How is this $60,000? Are they using some sort of special carbon fiber? It seems like you've got 6 to 8 carbon fiber pieces, tops. What little I know about Carbon Fiber lets me understand that this is mostly a labor expense, not materials. It looks great- neat design and all. If I had the money to buy another Gallardo, I'd just buy another Gallardo... but to each his own. I'm not digging on the kit at all, just want to understand the economics of it.

So, let's say the exhaust system if $5,000. That leaves $55,000 for the Carbon Fiber.

At $50 an hour that's over 1,100 hours of man hour for 8 pieces of carbon fiber.

I'm interested if there is 10X margin in this or if that's just the normal price for this type of stuff.

Freaking huge money maker.....If the resin fumes don't kill you first.....Seriously, it is like printing money. Guys buy this carbon fibre up without any concern over price....We are working on a $687,000 kit for the Gallardo.....

that kit looks horrible in real life, I saw the white car at the show took some shots of it, they butchered a beautiful car.

$60 k for the kit, they dreaming

Coming from the tuner scene I can tell you these bodykits are money makers!! The biggest expense is the making of the mold, however once completed a mold can produce many generations and will pay for itself fairly quickly. Since materials are purchased in bulk, which lowers the per unit cost, the only limiting factor as far as profit is concerned is overhead. As stated above the "exotic" tax is judiciously applied thereby increasing profit margin.

LAMBO TAX

:iamwithstupid:

with some minor exceptions, that some makers will use better quality resins, materials, etc for the simple fact that "the market" can afford it versus a lower-end tuner market. but all in all, the biggest driving factor is that some people are willing to pay/afford it.

Guest StuartRSC

It is pretty expensive isn't it. Someone already pointed out that there is an initial investment in mold/prototyping costs, which is more than you would expect. Having said that it's one thing to price your stuff at a reasonable and fair margin to recoup your costs and make a reasonable living, it's another altogether to charge 60G's for something like that. Besides, despite my bias I much prefer the RSC exhaust carbon fiber & bumper package which is orders of magnitude less than that!

I think we know what the target market for this stuff is though.

^^ I guess there are alot of Rappers looking for the newest fad; and alot of Pharmaceutical sales reps looking to burn some cash.

60k for some Gallardo kit? You might as well make that the Reventon bodykit.

or

60k + 10k = a very nice early used Gallardo. Which one makes more sense?