From MY 10 997.2 S Cab PDK to Gallardo

J.Seven

Hello to everyone. I register in 2004 when the Gallardo came out, I always loved this car, but this is my first post :rolleyes:

I´ve been driving Porsche for the last 12 years and my last purchase was a MY 10 997.2S PDK 2Cab, and I love it. Anyway a 06/07 Gallardo was another option in my mind before buying the 911.

I have a friend who has one, and the engine sound, driving position and general feeling is just amazing, much more special than my Porsche. I always get crazy everytime I drive it, but don´t know if in long term, the ownership experience would be better than owning my reliable and trouble free Porsche. His car had already the need for two clutchs, and maintenace is expensive, contrary to my Porsche. It has more power at high revs than my Porsche, but difference is not huge, it´s an e-gear 500hp car.

Everyday I think, maybe I should have bought the Gallardo, something I wouldn´t think about my 911, if I had decide to buy the Gallardo in first place.

I´m divorce and have a 6 years old son. We go often for one week skiing hollidays with the 911. It´s a 900km trip and there´s plenty of space to bring everything needed. Would a Gallardo be able to offer the same option for long trips? I like the fact I can go to work with my Porsche, car is not that flashy nowadays.

Those who have owned both can give me your feedback on your ownership experience? Is the Lambo really much more special than a 911, or it´s just the fact I drive my friends car from time to time that makes it so special???

I just received a message in another forum from a Lambo owner that also has a 997 and here´s what he said:

"The porsche is in many ways a better car than the lambo. I use mine as a DD and love it. If i could only have one I would take the Porsche every time. I bought the Lambo first as my first exotic. I actually used it as a DD for about 6 months and it was great, but it was very expenesive to keep up. The attention was a little overwhelming but I got used to it pretty quickly. The car does feel very special and the sound it awesome, but honestly our Porsches are just better cars for DD. I would say the lambo makes a great compliment to the porsche but I would never chose it over my porsche. Thats just my 2 cents."

Those who didn´t had Porsche can also give me some insigths.

Thanks in advance.

J.Seven

i went from a 996 to a gallardo.

you dont have much room in a gallardo. trunk is smaller and room behind seats is much less compared to 911. the car is more demanding to drive too.

if you want an all around car, stick to the porsche. a gallardo is like a supermodel. it doesn't go grocery shopping with you. you just take it for a nice dinner and parties. but that special sounds and feel is truely amazing and unmatched by a 911.

I can see if you were comparing a 997 TT to the Gallardo...

But comparing a 997 C2S/C4S to a Gallardo?...those cars don't even occupy the same planet!

If you want a Gallardo, you either ADD it to your stable or you get rid of the non-TT Porsche via trade-in to get the Gallardo.

btw, I debated between getting a black 997 TT coupe vs. a black Gallardo coupe...that debate didn't last long at all!

If I wanted an all-rounder daily drive I would choose the Audi R8 Over the 997.

For something special and a true "supercar" then its the Lambo, but not really for a DD or taking to work...

They are both different cars in different leagues IMHO.

I'm in the same boat now. I've been dead set on a gallardo for a while but now that it's been hard to find one at a good deal (prices have gone back up it seems) and reading threads about engine fires, expensive egear malfunctions, etc... the 997 tt is looking more and more appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a gallardo but in reality, I would never drive it to work to downtown and in fact, I would rarely have the opportunity to enjoy it much less drive it. I'm also factoring in about $15k a year in depreciation. With all that said, I agree 100% with what your buddy said... it seems like a fun, affordable, worry-free, daily drivable, somewhat inconspicuous car... 997tt is the winner. However, if you want something that's loud, gives a lot of attention and eye-catching.... gallardo it is.

Edwin

The Gallardo is a guaranteed rolling freak show...

You will have people sticking there cell phones out of there cars as you roll down the road and the inability to really park the car anywhere without worrying about it.

The 997TT is better in terms of performance.. Stock to Stock.. That's not to say that the Gallardo is bad, not at all. It's just that the Turbo is really a much better car and designed for daily use. If you go with an LP-560 then the gap in performance is really splitting hairs. The Gallardo sounds WAY better than the turbo ever will. That alone is worth it!

I am so conflicted... Just get both...

:-)

The Gallardo is a guaranteed rolling freak show...

You will have people sticking there cell phones out of there cars as you roll down the road and the inability to really park the car anywhere without worrying about it.

The 997TT is better in terms of performance.. Stock to Stock.. That's not to say that the Gallardo is bad, not at all. It's just that the Turbo is really a much better car and designed for daily use. If you go with an LP-560 then the gap in performance is really splitting hairs. The Gallardo sounds WAY better than the turbo ever will. That alone is worth it!

I am so conflicted... Just get both...

:-)

Haha... rolling freak show...good way to put it

Txturbo, where in Tx are you?

Edwin

splitting hairs

serious hair cut