power steering

tonyc

hello everyone, last night i took my 04 gallardo w/ 7000 mile on it for a 270 mile road trip to the beach in maine. I got just about here and the steering began to feel hard. I checked the obvious tire pressure etc. and read in the owners manual. It appears to be the electronic control system etc etc thing....Is this an easy fix?? I was hoping it would be just a fuse or something but knowing my luck its not and is gonna have to go to a dealer. thanks alot anyone who can help.

There is nothing the electonics can do to make the p/s not work... The normal is the splined drive shaft for the p/s pump wears smooth so the engine dose not turn the p/s pump.

There is nothing the electonics can do to make the p/s not work... The normal is the splined drive shaft for the p/s pump wears smooth so the engine dose not turn the p/s pump.

Jeff is correct and take his advice. This is 90% of the failures in the power steering system. I advice to replace the shaft and pump as a combo. I have seen several pumps damaged by the shaft.

Best of Luck Tony C

ya, the only reason i said anything about electronical whatever is b/c it came right out of the manual, it is really not horrible driving down the street, but is brutal when your trying to manuver thru a parking lot or park etc. Can someone give me an idea on how much $$$ it is for parts i would need to fix it? and what is involved? thanks

ya, the only reason i said anything about electronical whatever is b/c it came right out of the manual, it is really not horrible driving down the street, but is brutal when your trying to manuver thru a parking lot or park etc. Can someone give me an idea on how much $$$ it is for parts i would need to fix it? and what is involved? thanks

While I'm no expert, I have had extensive experience with this problem. My splined shaft went out at 6K and again at 12K. Both times, I simply replaced the splined shaft ($60) myself. When it went out again at 19.5K, I said WTF. I went to Lambo for help, but they said they have no history 04 G P/S pump issues (yeah, right). Anyway, this last time, I bought a new pump ($1,350 with 20% off) and installed myself.

If you have any mechanical experience, you can do it, but you obviously need a few tools, like rachets, extensions, star wrenches. If you take to a Lambo dealer, you're probably looking at around $2,500, less if you go to an independent.

If you want to discuss, call me @ (805) 526-2327