Wheels...springs..oh my.

HREU

Hey guys,

Sliding the slippery slope of new wheels for our G...SO many options.

Love the ADV.1 Deep concave wheels...and 2 or 3 other brands. I am clear that forged wheels are the way to go...

Weight is important. I had heavy 20" wheels on a previous car and they did have a negative effect..

Questions:

Any idea how much the OE Callisto wheels weigh?

And

What are the lightest 19" and 20" wheels...?

Any help would be appreciated.

Im looking for the same info re: stock Callisto weight. Leaning towards ADV as well for my 560, just did a set of deep concaves on my Rover and they are sick! Heffner is "OEMing" an ADV wheel, I would assume they have the performance concerns squashed? Im sticking with 19s...

Callistos are heavy as fook! Do a search, I think someone said they were 31 pounds a piece. After the Klassen thread, I would personally go with a known quantity. HRE, Fikse etc... I personally like the factory Superleggera wheels as an upgrade. They are light and made by OZ racing so you know they are tested and stout.

Callistos are heavy as fook! Do a search, I think someone said they were 31 pounds a piece. After the Klassen thread, I would personally go with a known quantity. HRE, Fikse etc... I personally like the factory Superleggera wheels as an upgrade. They are light and made by OZ racing so you know they are tested and stout.

Wow, 31lbs, will have to find that.

I believe ADV is made by MHT. I know MHT isn't the best wheel, but there is a big company behind them at least. I've seen broke HRE's as well, their styles are just stale, they need to change it up. Had the SL wheels on my last SL...looking for something diff :icon_mrgreen:

The more I learn about the aftermarket wheel industry the more uncertain I feel...

Why?

1) They don't seem to know their wheel weights...or...hate to say it...don't tell the truth. I don't want to get into details but...recently I weighed a new 'forged lightweight' wheel that was being marketed as the lightest on the market for the G. Sitting next to this wheel was a 3 piece bling-bling type wheel. (made by the SAME company). BOTH weighed the same...26lbs. They were the same size etc. The guy who was helping me was honestly surprised. Point is, this light weight wheel...was a brick.

2) TUV testing. its the global standard. Try finding a wheel maker who has TUV tested wheels.

3) I am guessing but, I bet that 95% of the wheel brands dont make their own wheels. They buy the barrels from China...then have someone else put them together. I think the dirty little fact is that most wheel brands are designers AND marketers. Nothing wrong with that...I am all for making money and outsourcing. But, I want a wheel from a company like BBS that has been around forever and makes the best overall product.

For those of you who have gone down this same road...what did you end up doing and why?

(I do love the looks of the ADVs and they do look amazing on Lambos...but, not at the cost of safety or overall performance.)

Wow, 31lbs, will have to find that.

I believe ADV is made by MHT. I know MHT isn't the best wheel, but there is a big company behind them at least. I've seen broke HRE's as well, their styles are just stale, they need to change it up. Had the SL wheels on my last SL...looking for something diff :icon_mrgreen:

Ya know what...yeah I do...I do feel better :)

Thanks for posting those pics.

Weights...anyone weigh any of the ADV wheels?

As long as they are not heavier than the OE wheels...I am all in.

ADV @ TUV...do you feel better now??? :icon_mrgreen: i hear what your're saying, and well abreast of those issues, thanks for the info!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance1/4768030312/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance1/4768029668/

ADV look beautiful! However, I haven't heard/seen results of them in high stress situations or know anything about their weight.

Rays/Volk are really good looking wheels, and are known for holding up very well in high stress situations. I believe that they have wheels that will work with G bolt pattern, offset, etc.

Nick

ADV look beautiful! However, I haven't heard/seen results of them in high stress situations or know anything about their weight.

Rays/Volk are really good looking wheels, and are known for holding up very well in high stress situations. I believe that they have wheels that will work with G bolt pattern, offset, etc.

Nick

We all know what Heff is capable of...so it should be of some assurance that ADV wheels will hold up, since Heffner and ADV have a co-branded wheel now! Take a look through ADV's flickr picts (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46830788@N04/), and you will see many cars on track...

Im waiting for a reply on the weight of the Heffner wheels...

4692574350_7bf3a3b4b5_b.jpg

4692574482_ecd01a762e_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ADV\Heffner wheel weights:

Currently:

19" Front/Rear ~23lbs./25lbs.

20" Front/Rear ~24lbs./26lbs.

They have a new engineering spec in the works, which should yield:

19" Front/rear ~19lbs./22lbs.

There are also some other optional tricks, like pocket cutting the backpad, which should remove an additional .5-.75 lbs. per wheel!

I think these would look amazing on a G

http://www.adv1wheels.com/adv1wheels/galle..._ADV10_DC_3.php

That is the same ADV10 spoke "Heffner" wheel, but in a multi-piece deep concave forging, this is what I put on my RRS, it is an AMAZING wheel! Unfortunately due to the low offset of the G, they really cant do a deep concave for it.

I think these would look amazing on a G

http://www.adv1wheels.com/adv1wheels/galle..._ADV10_DC_3.php

Hi , i am new here and just picked up a G Spyder.

Just placed my order on these exact wheel from Jorge - WheelAddict

Jorge warned me on the offset but i go ahead anyways, its da best looking wheel IMO. Getting 20x8.5 20x12, darker tone with lighten package. wearing Nero or PS2.

Dame they are expensive, see how it goes..

Hey guys,

Update on the OP.

Went with HRE 798Rs. 20" in the back...19" in the front. P-Zeros.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with all the choices that are out there. We went with the HREs due to their build quality, design and the fact that they are nearly the only

wheel that has actually been TUV tested and approved. I have read far too many stories about inferior wheels literally coming apart at speed to risk it.

For reference sake:

OE Callistos weigh 28lbs front and 31lbs rear. 19"/ 19"

HRE 798Rs weigh 23lbs front and 26lbs rear. 19"/ 20"

Jorge warned me on the offset but i go ahead anyways, its da best looking wheel IMO. Getting 20x8.5 20x12, darker tone with lighten package. wearing Nero or PS2.

Hey guys,

Update on the OP.

Went with HRE 798Rs. 20" in the back...19" in the front. P-Zeros.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with all the choices that are out there. We went with the HREs due to their build quality, design and the fact that they are nearly the only

wheel that has actually been TUV tested and approved. I have read far too many stories about inferior wheels literally coming apart at speed to risk it.

For reference sake:

OE Callistos weigh 28lbs front and 31lbs rear. 19"/ 19"

HRE 798Rs weigh 23lbs front and 26lbs rear. 19"/ 20"

nice, where are the picts??? interesting to see the HRE and ADV are exactly the same weights. (and most ADV are TUV tested and approved for the record :icon_mrgreen:) thanks for stock wheel weights too.

very cool, congrats! as far as the offset warning, was it just that the concave wouldn't be as aggressive as like the CLS they picture them on? i assume you did the multipiece, not the mono? what is lead time? they are expensive...try doing them in 22s for an SUV :icon_mrgreen:

very cool, congrats! as far as the offset warning, was it just that the concave wouldn't be as aggressive as like the CLS they picture them on? i assume you did the multipiece, not the mono? what is lead time? they are expensive...try doing them in 22s for an SUV :icon_mrgreen:

Exactly, there wont be much concave , you can see the 1pc ADV10.1 on the picture above. But i choose the 3pcs and wider 12" rear. So lets see how it will come out. +- 1 month lead time.

i PSed the G with CLS wheels.

projectgallardo13_copy.jpg

Was meaning to pass this info along as well...save someone the time of figuring this stuff out.

There are a bunch of 1 piece Forged Wheels available and coming for sale. Most are marketed as being light weight...as in...lighter vs a 3 piece wheel.

I went to a wheel manufacturers actual facility and had them weigh one of their 1 piece forged wheels....and then a 3 piece wheel (that I thought for sure would be a boat anchor). Side note, was cool seeing how the wheels were made. Please don't ask the maker who gave me the tour. They were super cool to put up with me.

I was wrong...both weight exactly the same. 26lbs. Both were 20 inchers for the record.

At the end of the day which ever wheels make you happy (and are safe)...go for it.

• 2 months later...