Temperature Gauge troubleshooting

Chipster

Just put in a new VDO gauge. Unlike before where the gauge wasn't doing anything at all, the new gauge spikes to completely hot as soon as the key is in the accessory on position. Does this mean my sensor is bad? Is this the wire that connects to the thermocouple on top of the water pump housing? I checked my temps with the laser heat gun and they were ok. Thoughts?

I think its going to explode.

You may want to move away from the D. :lol:

Not sure, but,I think the wire on top of the thermostat is the coolant sensor. Completely different problems come when that goes.

There are two thermostats and those are on either side of the thermocouple on top of the water pump (according to the drawing diagrams at least haha). I think it's the wire or the sender, not sure though. Dammit!

There are two thermostats and those are on either side of the thermocouple on top of the water pump (according to the drawing diagrams at least haha). I think it's the wire or the sender, not sure though. Dammit!

Hey chip I believe the temp sensor for guage is on drivers side rad.Personally I'd put in new sender and run new sending wire to sender from guage.When I changed mine I used existing power and ground from original guage but my sending wire had a short in it somewhere when I ran new wire everything worked perfect.

The sensors on either side of thermocouple are for ecu's the one in middle triggers fans to come on.

What about a calibration problem, the new gauge is not compatible with the OEM sender, which means a new sender of the same type wouldn't work either???

Ok, i unplugged the connector at the radiator and the gauge still stayed spiked on hot. That would lead me to believe it is the sensor and not the wiring. Does that sound right?

I would assume since it's VDO like stock, that they would be compatible though. Oh well. I will look at the sensor!

Yes I would replace sensor with new one that works for new guage.I replaced both on mine and guage still never worked thats why I had to replace sending wire

Ok, i unplugged the connector at the radiator and the gauge still stayed spiked on hot. That would lead me to believe it is the sensor and not the wiring. Does that sound right?

What does guage do if you unplug sensor wire directly off of the back?

Hey chip sent you a pm to make this easier :icon_thumleft:

• 1 month later...