Maybe another in the "WHY???" category

Swil

:shock: :shock: :shock: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Ok guys, save the "he values his education" bit (the money he would make he wouldn't have to work the rest of his life), or wants the college experience more. The guy has been there for 3 years already (Redshirt Sophomore); he's projected to be the No. 1 pick in this draft. And if the new collective bargaining agreement happens (being negotiated by the league as we speak) it is said he stands to lose $63 Million Dollars and $45 MM in guaranteed money in 2012. A signing bonus would at least be around $12-15MM.

Oh yeah.....he could get hurt and most likely he will be playing under a new coach next season... You can ALWAYS finish your degree. You can't always be the NUMBER ONE draft pick in the NFL...

HORRIBLE BUSINESS DECISION. :eusa_wall:

Very surprising. Especially with Harbaugh 100% gone-baby-gone (Luck opting to stay will have ZERO affect on Harbaugh's decision).

Insurance options for these guys are very robust now though, he'll purchase and have a $10-20M policy against injury in place quickly. So I'm not as panic-stricken as I used to be when these guys opt to stay for another year. It's still a hell of a payday even if he blows out his rotator cuff or something.

But Stanford did have a year that could only be described as a miracle, there's just not much left to shoot for by staying so I'm not sure I understand Luck's thinking. They likely won't even be a top-10 team when it's all said and done next season, let alone top-5...even if he stays.

I know people will point to Oregon and say "what if", thinking Stanford was thissssssssssssss-close to a top BCS berth if they had just held on to their lead, especially if Oregon beats Auburn next week. In reality they are what they are and tight-academic-standard schools will only be fluke competitors from here on out, logging a great miracle year once a decade or so (see Notre Dame).

Very surprising.

I think for fans of college football, like me, this is great news for good games next season. As for his future, probably a bad one, but he might know something about the market that we don't fully realize just yet. He's put up some good performances, but he needs some more discipline too.